Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jason Michelizzi <mi...@d.umn.edu> on 2001/12/21 04:47:20 UTC

cannot access pages except from my box

I have Apache 1.3.22 running on my Red Hat Linux (7.1) box, and I have a
strange problem.  I cannot access web pages from outside of my box.  For
example, if I tell my favorite web browser on my Linux to go to
http://131.212.89.168 I can see my web page just fine.  But, if I go to
another machine and do the same, the browser just sits there for awhile
until a timeout occurrs and it reports that my ip address is not
responding.
If also tried opening a telnet connection to my ip address on port 80
... similar results.

I believe that my firewall settings are correct, I've even setting it so
that it accepts everything that comes to my machine.  No luck.  I'm
thinking that I have a setting wrong for Apache, or, perhaps, my network
administrator doesn't want me running a web server, though I don't think
that's the problem.

thanks,
Jason

Re: cannot access pages except from my box

Posted by Jason Michelizzi <mi...@d.umn.edu>.
Darren wrote:

> Still sounds like a firewall or possibly a hardware problem.  Maybe TCP
> wrappers?  Take a look at /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny.  Can you
> ping into the box?  Can you ping out from it?
>
> Darren

Yes, I can ping into and out of my box.  I can also do other things:  I
have an ssh daemon running on tcp port 22, and I can ssh into my box
from different machines (after having written the proper ipchains
firewall rules).  Both the /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files
are empty (except for some comments).  What should they contain?

thanks again