Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Hanif Ladha <HL...@vortek.com> on 2002/06/29 00:16:59 UTC

Feasibility of using ANT...

Well perhaps feasibility is not the right word... Anyway, I would much
appreciate some advice.

I am in the process of replacing our in-house developed perl-script
based build system.  The major reason being that it does not meet the
developers needs and to make it so would require a re-write and the
current code set is a big bowl of spaghetti!

We are developing a multi-platform solution.  Part of the solution runs
on a Windows platform (NT and Win2K) and the other on QNX.  We do have
some common utility and communication libraries that are used on both
platforms.  Apart from those libraries there is no other cross-platform
dependency.  All the Java development is targeted for Windows.  For QNX
we use C/C++.  There is also C++ stuff for Windows.

So the first questions is can ANT handle C/C++ modules effectively?  I
guess what I mean by effective is how make is able to compile/link C/C++
stuff.

Our solution is deployed as follows:

Windows:
A set of JAR files for JAVA
A set of executables with shared libraries and config (ini) files.

For QNX:
A set of executables and config files
A set of shared libraries

The above has resulted in a code repository resulting in a large number
of modules, some of which are shared libraries and others are
executables.  There is a high degree of dependency between the modules.

The developers would need the ability to build their own modules, do
checkouts (we use CVS), releases, generate docs (javadoc and doxygen),
etc.  In addition to that we want to continue doing our regular builds.
Here I am looking at something like Gump to help ANT.

So.... would you recommend ANT as an appropriate build management tool
for the above make-up?

Thanks,

Hanif.

Re: Feasibility of using ANT...

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.
--- Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com> wrote:
> it auto parses the files for dependency info, and does a lot of work
> hiding platform stuff; if you use gcc everywhere you are sorted

Woo-hoo!

cc:
       [cc] Compiling "foo.c" because "foo.h" is newer than "foo.obj".
       [cc] Linking "foo.exe" because "foo.obj" is newer.

Old build process, look out! :)

(BTW: Just curious -- what does "you are sorted" actually mean? Never
heard that expression before.)

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)

Re: Feasibility of using ANT...

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> > you can get the <cc> task for ant1.5 from sf.net/projects/ant-contrib to
> > do C++ compile and link, [...]
> > The task is *excellent*.
>
> No fooling? -- is it ready to go? I'd love to try it out, but I thought it
> was still in-progress.

hey, it still beats make.

Re: Feasibility of using ANT...

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Feasibility of using ANT...

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
you can get the <cc> task for ant1.5 from sf.net/projects/ant-contrib to do
C++ compile and link, you you would have to add your own QNX compiler
support. The task is *excellent*.

-steve

Re: Feasibility of using ANT...

Posted by Jesse Stockall <je...@cryptocard.com>.
On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 18:16, Hanif Ladha wrote:
> So the first questions is can ANT handle C/C++ modules effectively?  I
> guess what I mean by effective is how make is able to compile/link C/C++
> stuff.

We recently converted from gmake (with cygwin on Windows) to the <cc>
tasks from Ant-contrib on SourceForge. This allows us to build all our
java code (75%) and the c and c++ code (25%) all from 1 build system.

To accomplish what you need with Ant will require a little work. The
<cc> tasks may require some tweaking for use on QNX and the both the
<cc> and <doxygen> tasks are not part of Ant's core.

Ant's xml build files are a joy to work with compared to Makefiles, even
our long time Makefile users have taken to Ant.

Jesse

--
 Jesse Stockall			|	Tel: 1+ 613.599.2441 ext. 243
 CRYPTOCard Corporation		|	Fax: 1+ 613.599.2442