Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2013/09/30 03:24:15 UTC

Current guidance on using strong cryptographic algorithms in Apache projects

Dear Apache Legal Affairs,

At
http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.htm
was, formerly, guidance to Apache PMC members on the necessary steps to
take should a contribution implementing or employing cryptographic
functions be considered for commit. It outlines necessary documentation and
procedural steps the PMC must adopt ahead of committing the code and ahead
of any release including it. However, near the top of that page is this
notice:

*
Note - the regulations covering US export control laws for encryption were
changed on June 25th 2010. This page describes the previous process. Until
an updated version has been drawn up and approved by the Apache VP Legal
Affairs, projects should check with the legal-discuss list before
proceeding.*

On the Apache HBase JIRA issue HBASE-7544 (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-7544), "Transparent table/CF
encryption", the Apache HBase project is presented with a change that would
employ cryptographic functions. The proposed change does not implement
cryptographic algorithms directly, but provides a framework for their use
in the HBase product, and includes a new feature for HBase employing that
framework to encrypt data. Such encryption would be done with an algorithm
available in any Java runtime environment that is a symmetric algorithm
employing a key length in excess of 56-bits (128 bits).

I would like to engage my PMC in a discussion about possibly including the
HBASE-7544 change in an upcoming release. Before I can do that, I think we
need to clearly understand what the ramifications of such action would be.
What is the general guidance from Apache Legal Affairs to Apache project
with respect to inclusion of code employing cryptographic functions? What
procedural changes and/or new release requirements would our project need
to adopt if such code is committed?

Please be advised I have also copied this message to the Apache HBase PMC
mailing list for their information.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Current guidance on using strong cryptographic algorithms in Apache projects

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
The conclusion I will take to my PMC in the absence of an authoritative
opinion from the Foundation is that no special action is needed, and I will
refer to this thread. Thanks.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
James,