Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave <sn...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/01 02:06:49 UTC

Re: svn commit: r552017 [2/2] - in /roller/trunk/apps/planet: ./ src/java/META-INF/ src/java/org/apache/roller/planet/business/ src/java/org/apache/roller/planet/business/hibernate/ src/java/org/apache/roller/planet/business/jpa/ src/java/org/apache/

These changes break the integrated build. I'd like to keep Planet and
Weblogger in sync in the trunk until 4.0 gets it's own branch.

OK if I make the corresponding changes in the Weblogger code for the
new Planet POJO names?

- Dave

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 7/1/07, Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> wrote:
> I see.  I'm not sure it's appropriate to copy the core and planet builds
> in this scenario though, because they are supposed to be allowed to get
> out of sync.  The whole reason for making the integration of core and
> planet jars happen statically was specifically to prevent the scenario
> you described.

Right. I'm only doing automatic builds/tests this way to ensure that
we stay in sync for 4.0.

> We are planning to make sure that things are all in sync for 4.0, but
> after that they will not be expected to stay in sync all the time, so
> it's possible this will continue to happen from time to time.

Agreed. After 4.0 things can diverge in the trunk.

- Dave

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Dave wrote:
> On 7/1/07, Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> wrote:
>> > These changes break the integrated build. I'd like to keep Planet and
>> > Weblogger in sync in the trunk until 4.0 gets it's own branch.
>> >
>> > OK if I make the corresponding changes in the Weblogger code for the
>> > new Planet POJO names?
>>
>> They only break the build if you change the planet integration jar,
>> which I didn't do.  You can start updating the weblogger code if you
>> want, but I still have some changes to the planet code that I am working
>> on which is why I didn't start working on the weblogger updates yet.
>>
>> I also plan to keep the planet and weblogger stuff in sync, but it
>> doesn't make sense to update the weblogger code until I'm done updating
>> the planet stuff.
>
> OK. Just wanted to make sure we're in agreement about keeping Planet
> and Weblogger in sync for 4.0.
>
> FYI: when things go out of sync I start getting build failed messages.
> I've got a couple of build systems setup to do an "integrated build"
> from trunk, i.e. Core, copy to tools, Planet, copy to tools, Weblogger
> and then run all tests.

I see.  I'm not sure it's appropriate to copy the core and planet builds
in this scenario though, because they are supposed to be allowed to get
out of sync.  The whole reason for making the integration of core and
planet jars happen statically was specifically to prevent the scenario
you described.

We are planning to make sure that things are all in sync for 4.0, but
after that they will not be expected to stay in sync all the time, so
it's possible this will continue to happen from time to time.

-- Allen

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.