Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/11 09:59:10 UTC

next steps

I would like to shepherd the web front end, the query parser and some
documentation into the project next.

Michael,

You have the web front end ready it sounds like.  Can you provide us a
walk-through?

Camuel,

You and your team have the parser in some kind of shape.  We still need to
discuss and settle on an intermediate language to pass to the query
optimizer and source code organization.  Also, how does the syntax below
look to you as a target?

Julian H,

Can you comment on what you would like to see as a logical plan syntax?  My
thought was to describe the logical plan as virtual assignments in a style
similar to (but very distinct from) LLVM.  The syntax would look something
like this:

   dest := op arg1, arg2, ... argN

op would be one of a small list of operators.  Arg's would be destinations
from earlier in the file.  Even arithmetic expressions and built-in
functions would be in this form.

Would this look OK to you?

If so, what list of op's should we target first?

Re: next steps

Posted by Timothy Chen <tn...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I don't think there is any design documents, except one overall
architecture slides online (available on the drill website).

There is a grammer definition and early parser prototype done in the
https://github.com/ApacheDrill/parser repo.

Tim

Re: next steps

Posted by arunabh ghosh <ar...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Folks,

Re: next steps

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
You can also fork the mirror on github and post a message on the JIRA to
that effect.  The patches are nice because they make the change visible
forever.  The github approach is nice because it effectively gives a code
review tool with no tooling.

Re: next steps

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: next steps

Posted by Michael Hausenblas <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: next steps

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: next steps

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
It is much better to post them on JIRA.

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 2:49 AM, Michael Hausenblas <

Re: next steps

Posted by Michael Hausenblas <mi...@gmail.com>.

Et voila, here we go: http://youtu.be/Co1D6yK3nZs (8min)

Re: next steps

Posted by Michael Hausenblas <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: next steps

Posted by Michael Hausenblas <mi...@gmail.com>.
> Great, please let us know the time. I would like to join in.

Oh, I meant I'm going to *record* a screen cast and upload to [1] … not live ;)

Cheers,
	   Michael

[1] http://www.youtube.com/user/mhausenblas

--
Michael Hausenblas
Ireland, Europe

Re: next steps

Posted by Arun Ramakrishnan <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: next steps

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Awesome.

Re: next steps

Posted by Michael Hausenblas <mi...@gmail.com>.
> I would like to shepherd the web front end, the query parser and some
> documentation into the project next.

Great, thanks!

Re: next steps

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Cool.

The plan paper is converging with only a few issues left.

I have written a parser for that and just need to give some cleaner
integration points to the result.  As a side effect of that, I will build a
toy execution engine that directly interprets the logical plan.

Further comments on your other thread.

Re: next steps

Posted by Camuel Gilyadov <ca...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to shepherd the web front end, the query parser and some
> documentation into the project next.
>
> Michael,
>
> You have the web front end ready it sounds like.  Can you provide us a
> walk-through?
>
> Camuel,
>
> You and your team have the parser in some kind of shape.  We still need to
> discuss and settle on an intermediate language to pass to the query
> optimizer and source code organization.  Also, how does the syntax below
> look to you as a target?

As I have written previously, parser will note emit any logical plan but
will provide AST iteration kind of interface and this is pretty much
already working.

The next step is to write a parser for schema and we started with .proto
files but then it seems to me that it is not yet a consensus there here in
what language we describe schema and a very adjacent question which
serialization format we are going to use.