Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Miks Rozenbergs <Mi...@exigengroup.lv> on 2005/07/12 20:47:53 UTC

How to get Maven plug-in to operate in the context of Eclipse Workspace

Hello everybody!
We are investigating the use of Maven (M2) as a way to describe
dependancies between various components making up our Web applications and
do builds. Components are developed using our own in-house development and
configuration tools which already have implemented code generation,
packaging, etc. tasks, so, all we need is to create simple Maven plug-in
(-s) calling those tasks. However the catch is that all our development
tools are tightly integrated into Eclipse and require running Eclipse
Workspace with all the Eclipse plug-ins loaded in order to perform code
generation, packaging etc.
So the question is how to call Maven from Eclipse providing Maven plug-in
(which we are about to develop) with access to Eclipse Workspace and
Eclipse plug-in classes? Is there anything out there already?
Best Regards.
Miks Rozenbergs
Exigen Group
www.exigengroup.com

Re: How to get Maven plug-in to operate in the context of Eclipse Workspace

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@codehaus.org>.
On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 09:00:55PM +0200, Peter Neubauer wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 July 2005 20:47, Miks Rozenbergs wrote:
> > So the question is how to call Maven from Eclipse providing Maven plug-in
> > (which we are about to develop) with access to Eclipse Workspace and
> > Eclipse plug-in classes? Is there anything out there already?
> As far as I can tell, M2 is written for use embedded in other systems. OSGi
> would be one of them. I guess you should look at the Embedder class, and
> possibly at the Continuum project in order to get more hints.
>
> I'm not sure if it is easy to modify the plexus container (using the Avalon
> framework as the container contract) in order to plug in OSGi bundles
> providing bundles as components into the Plexus Service Manager, looking up
> through OSGi when it can't find required services for a component. That would
> possibly allow to mix OSGi bundles with Avalon components, providing "native"
> plugging into OSGi and Eclipse.
> Probably JVZ can give more info on that?

That is not entirely correct, Plexus has it's own (native) component
personality but has also a Avalon personality for running Avalon
components. We are definitely interested in writing a OGSi personality for
Plexus. This will, as you say, make it possible to mix and match Plexus,
OGSi and Avalon components. It will also make it possible to use OSGi
components directly from Maven 2 Mojos through a field with a expression like

  expression="${component.my.component.role}"

If anyone are interested in more information and/or want to look into
implementing this we can chat more on IRC: #plexus at irc.codehaus.org

--
Trygve

Re: How to get Maven plug-in to operate in the context of Eclipse Workspace

Posted by Peter Neubauer <pe...@neubauer.se>.
On Tuesday 12 July 2005 20:47, Miks Rozenbergs wrote:
> So the question is how to call Maven from Eclipse providing Maven plug-in
> (which we are about to develop) with access to Eclipse Workspace and
> Eclipse plug-in classes? Is there anything out there already?
As far as I can tell, M2 is written for use embedded in other systems. OSGi
would be one of them. I guess you should look at the Embedder class, and
possibly at the Continuum project in order to get more hints.

I'm not sure if it is easy to modify the plexus container (using the Avalon
framework as the container contract) in order to plug in OSGi bundles
providing bundles as components into the Plexus Service Manager, looking up
through OSGi when it can't find required services for a component. That would
possibly allow to mix OSGi bundles with Avalon components, providing "native"
plugging into OSGi and Eclipse.
Probably JVZ can give more info on that?

/peter

Re: How to get Maven plug-in to operate in the context of Eclipse Workspace

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@codehaus.org>.
On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 09:47:53PM +0300, Miks Rozenbergs wrote:
> Hello everybody!
> We are investigating the use of Maven (M2) as a way to describe
> dependancies between various components making up our Web applications and
> do builds. Components are developed using our own in-house development and
> configuration tools which already have implemented code generation,
> packaging, etc. tasks, so, all we need is to create simple Maven plug-in
> (-s) calling those tasks. However the catch is that all our development
> tools are tightly integrated into Eclipse and require running Eclipse
> Workspace with all the Eclipse plug-ins loaded in order to perform code
> generation, packaging etc.
> So the question is how to call Maven from Eclipse providing Maven plug-in
> (which we are about to develop) with access to Eclipse Workspace and
> Eclipse plug-in classes? Is there anything out there already?

I think that your best bet for now is to take a look at
o.a.m.cli.MavenCli. It uses the embedder to start the Plexus container and
look up the Maven component which is most likely what you want.

You might also want to check in with the mevenide[1] guys to see what
their status on integrating mevenide with eclipse and any work on the
maven eclipse plugin plugin (nice name eh?). It's a plugin to Maven for
creating Eclipse plugins.

[1]: http://mevenide.codehaus.org

--
Trygve