Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Robert Swan <rs...@nskinc.com> on 2005/05/04 00:57:46 UTC

AWL whaaat

Can anyone explain this to me, because I don't under stand how 21 points
gets added to something in the AWL....

pts rule name              description

---- ----------------------

 1.1 NO_REAL_NAME           From: does not include a real name

 1.7 MSGID_FROM_MTA_ID      Message-Id for external message added
locally

-1.1 BAYES_40               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 20 to 40%

                            [score: 0.2527]

  21 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list

Robert

Peace he would say instead of goodbye....peace my brother.

Re: AWL whaaat

Posted by "Eric A. Hall" <eh...@ehsco.com>.
On 5/4/2005 1:11 PM, Matt Kettler wrote:

> Got any better suggestions for a name?

STS = Sender Trending Score

It is an independent score that is applied separately based on the
sender's historical trend.

Consonants make better acronyms.

And it's accurate!

Re: AWL whaaat

Posted by Bill Landry <bi...@pointshare.com>.
Posted by Arvinn Løkkebakken <ar...@whitebird.no>.

Matt Kettler wrote:

>Kelson wrote:
>

>>Matt Kettler wrote:
>>

>>>Or were you under the misconception based on the name AWL that it is
>>>only a whitelist?
>>>
>>>The AWL isn't really a whitelist, it's a score averager. It has effect
>>>of both an automatic whitelist and an automatic blacklist.
>>>
>>>http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AutoWhitelist
>>>

>>I've said it before, but this FAQ wouldn't even be *asked* if the AWL
>>were named accurately.  It's sort of like naming a harmless snake the
>>Incredibly Deadly Viper.  Those of us who've been here a while might
>>know what it *really* does, but anyone unfamiliar with it has every
>>reason to assume something different based on the name.
>>

>True, but ASASWBLWLB (Automatic Score Averaging System With Black List
>and White List Behaviors) is rather cumbersome and confusing.
>
>Perhaps AWLBL would be a little better, but really it's a complete
>misnomer to call it a white list or black list, so it's still a blatant
>lie about what it really is.
>
>HSA (Historical Score Averager) might be reasonably accurate, but unless
>you think about the math, it's purpose isn't clear. (And in my
>experience, most people don't enjoy thinking about math. )
>
>Got any better suggestions for a name?

Don't know if it's better, but it's a suggestion anyway:
Why not just call it HS (History Score(r)).
Shorter, while it stills gives a proper indication.

Another suggestion:
CA (Cumulative Average)

Arvinn

Re: AWL whaaat

Posted by Craig McLean <cr...@craig.dnsalias.com>.

Re: AWL whaaat

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
Matt Kettler wrote:
> At 05:00 PM 5/4/2005, jdow wrote:
>
>> Accurate or not AWBL for Automatic White/Black List might be obscure
>> enough to inspire a minimal level of reading.
>
> Along those lines, we could name it RTFM :)

The Real-Time "From:" Monitor?

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: AWL whaaat

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.

Re: AWL whaaat

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Matt Kettler" <mk...@evi-inc.com>

> Kelson wrote:
>
> > Matt Kettler wrote:
> >
> >> Or were you under the misconception based on the name AWL that it is
> >> only a whitelist?
> >>
> >> The AWL isn't really a whitelist, it's a score averager. It has effect
> >> of both an automatic whitelist and an automatic blacklist.
> >>
> >> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AutoWhitelist
> >

> > I've said it before, but this FAQ wouldn't even be *asked* if the AWL
> > were named accurately.  It's sort of like naming a harmless snake the
> > Incredibly Deadly Viper.  Those of us who've been here a while might
> > know what it *really* does, but anyone unfamiliar with it has every
> > reason to assume something different based on the name.
> >
> True, but ASASWBLWLB (Automatic Score Averaging System With Black List
> and White List Behaviors) is rather cumbersome and confusing.
>
> Perhaps AWLBL would be a little better, but really it's a complete
> misnomer to call it a white list or black list, so it's still a blatant
> lie about what it really is.

Accurate or not AWBL for Automatic White/Black List might be obscure
enough to inspire a minimal level of reading.

{^_-}

Re: AWL whaaat

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Kelson wrote:

> Matt Kettler wrote:
>
>> HSA (Historical Score Averager) might be reasonably accurate, but unless
>> you think about the math, it's purpose isn't clear. (And in my
>> experience, most people don't enjoy thinking about math. )
>

> I don't know what it says about my current state of mind, but I
> misread that as Historical Score *Avenger*

Averager, Avenger.. both are methods of correcting statistical imbalance :)

Re: AWL whaaat

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.

Re: AWL whaaat

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Kelson wrote:

> Matt Kettler wrote:
>
>> Or were you under the misconception based on the name AWL that it is
>> only a whitelist?
>>
>> The AWL isn't really a whitelist, it's a score averager. It has effect
>> of both an automatic whitelist and an automatic blacklist.
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AutoWhitelist
>

> I've said it before, but this FAQ wouldn't even be *asked* if the AWL
> were named accurately.  It's sort of like naming a harmless snake the
> Incredibly Deadly Viper.  Those of us who've been here a while might
> know what it *really* does, but anyone unfamiliar with it has every
> reason to assume something different based on the name.

True, but ASASWBLWLB (Automatic Score Averaging System With Black List
and White List Behaviors) is rather cumbersome and confusing.

Perhaps AWLBL would be a little better, but really it's a complete
misnomer to call it a white list or black list, so it's still a blatant
lie about what it really is.

HSA (Historical Score Averager) might be reasonably accurate, but unless
you think about the math, it's purpose isn't clear. (And in my
experience, most people don't enjoy thinking about math. )

Got any better suggestions for a name?

Perhaps this should be added to bugzilla as a lowish priority
enhancement request so suggestions, concepts and ideas can be tracked.

Re: AWL whaaat

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.

Re: AWL whaaat

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Robert Swan wrote:

> Can anyone explain this to me, because I don’t under stand how 21
> points gets added to something in the AWL….

Why not? All you'd need is for the sender to have a past-average score
of 43.7

RE: AWL whaaat

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.
Could happen if someone sent a GTUBE message and then a lot of ham. I've
been seeing pretty high negative AWL numbers for spammers too... Seems
odd, but don't know enough about AWL to understand why.

Bret