Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by Felix Cuadrado Latasa <fc...@dit.upm.es> on 2008/03/11 21:00:45 UTC

Distributed Tuscany problem

Hello.
I have been trying to set up a distributed domain with Tuscany, starting
from the calculator-distributed example. In my set-up the Domain Node and
the B and C nodes are launched from one pc, and the A node connects to the
Domain Node from the other machine.

The nodes are able to communicate, but it does not work because the Domain
tries to load nodeA composite from a file url belonging to nodeA's machine
(and failing accordingly). In the simplest case, if we copy the
calculator-distributed example to a different directory and split the
execution it fais with the same error.

I have tested with Linux / Windows pcs, as well as Linux / Linux with the
same results.

Am I doing something wrong or that is a limitation of the current Tuscany
version?

thanks,

Félix

Re: Distributed Tuscany problem

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Felix Cuadrado Latasa <
> fcuadrado@dit.upm.es> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> > I have been trying to set up a distributed domain with Tuscany, starting
> > from the calculator-distributed example. In my set-up the Domain Node
> > and
> > the B and C nodes are launched from one pc, and the A node connects to
> > the
> > Domain Node from the other machine.
> >
> > The nodes are able to communicate, but it does not work because the
> > Domain
> > tries to load nodeA composite from a file url belonging to nodeA's
> > machine
> > (and failing accordingly). In the simplest case, if we copy the
> > calculator-distributed example to a different directory and split the
> > execution it fais with the same error.
> >
> > I have tested with Linux / Windows pcs, as well as Linux / Linux with
> > the
> > same results.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong or that is a limitation of the current
> > Tuscany
> > version?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Félix

> > Hi Felix
>
> Yes, you are coming across a limitation of the particular rendering of the
> domain that the sample/distributed-calculator currently uses. It assumes a
> shared file system where all contributions are available in the same place
> to all nodes.
>
> Sebastien has been working hard on a new "workspace" which has the ability
> to deliver contributions to nodes as RESTful resources, i.e. it will vend
> them out via HTTP URLs, hence removing this limitation. The store tutorial
> code already works with the new workplace so if you look in the trunk at
> sca/turtorial [1] you will see it being used. As the tutorial has quite a
> few moving parts I'll have a go a converting the distributed-calculator over
> to the workplace way of doing things to show you how that would work.
>
> Regards
>
> Simon
>
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java/sca/tutorial/

Hi Felix

I've converted samples/calculator-distributed over to the new workspace
model for the domain. It looks fairly similar to before and the scenario is
exactly the same of course. This time round though the nodes configure
themselves by reading contribution and composite information from the
domain. This contribution information come in the form of a URL so, while
the sample uses file: URL to directory based contributions, they could be
http: URLs to contribution Jars stored anywhere.

I haven't tested the sample with the build.xml running from a distribution
so if you want to look at it you need to use the JUnit test or the
individual "launch" classes. If you run LaunchDomain you can point your
browser at http://l3aw203:9990/ui/workspace/ and see what's in the domain.
Running the nodes is a matter of running the separate LaunchNodeC/B/A
classes. These are hardcoded to ask for the correct configuration.

I'll post some more notes tomorrow about how I converted the sample.

Regards

Simon

Re: Distributed Tuscany problem

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.