Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org> on 2005/09/19 23:50:04 UTC

Re: Feature Request: Identify new "copy" entries from pre-commit hook

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 14:49 -0400, Paul Dugas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to be able to identify new entries being added to a repository that
> are copies, rather than just straight adds, from within a pre-commit hook.
>  I posted a question to this list looking for help but only got "me too"
> tracker.  Figured I'd post one more time.

svnlook changed /full/path/to/repos | grep ^C

Does the above or something like it work?  Of course this only works on
the server itself, clients cannot run these commands.  But since you are
talking in a hook script sense....

> I'm trying to enforce some rules on the layout of my repository.  I want
> to make sure entries in /tags are copyies of /trunk.  I want to make sure
> entries in /branches are copies of entries in /tags.  I want to prevent
> users from using mkdir/add to create these new entries instead.

You should look for more examples of other peoples hook scripts.  Mostly
the pre-commit hook scripts.  I know there are some posted in the
archives of this list if you dig for them.

Cheers,
Chris
--
PGP Public Key: http://www.nesser.org/pgp-key/

Re: Feature Request: Identify new "copy" entries from pre-commit hook

Posted by Paul Dugas <pa...@dugas.cc>.
On Wed, September 21, 2005 9:17 pm, Christopher Ness wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 17:20 -0400, Paul Dugas wrote:
>> On Mon, September 19, 2005 7:50 pm, Christopher Ness wrote:
>> > svnlook changed /full/path/to/repos | grep ^C
>>
>> Can't seem to make svnlook produce lines with a leading 'C'.  Where did
>> you see this?  I looked through the code and don't see where svnlook
>> would
>> do this.
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> My mistake, I should have taken a look at the output from `svn help
> status` and seen that 'C' is a conflict state.

No worries.  I looked at the code for svnlook and it looks like it'd be
simple to copy the code for the "changed" subcommand and make a new
"copied" subcommand that listed new entries created as copies of others.
I wonder if this is something that would be useful to others?  It
certainly would be to me.  I think I'll try it and submit a patch.

Paul

--
Paul Dugas, Computer Engineer           Dugas Enterprises, LLC
paul@dugas.cc     phone: 404-932-1355   522 Black Canyon Park

Re: Feature Request: Identify new "copy" entries from pre-commit hook

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.
On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 17:20 -0400, Paul Dugas wrote:
> On Mon, September 19, 2005 7:50 pm, Christopher Ness wrote:
> > svnlook changed /full/path/to/repos | grep ^C
>
> Can't seem to make svnlook produce lines with a leading 'C'.  Where did
> you see this?  I looked through the code and don't see where svnlook would
> do this.

Hi Paul,

My mistake, I should have taken a look at the output from `svn help
status` and seen that 'C' is a conflict state.
This is such a grave error I need to be embarrassed on list as well so
people don't actually waste time trying this.

I guess you can only enforce the fact that no modifications can be made
in a tag since there is no designation between a copy and an add AFAIK.

Sorry,
Chris