Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com> on 2011/11/11 16:15:42 UTC

zookeeper ensemble with hbase (versus single node)

in various places i have read that in production one should really have a
zookeeper ensemble (with an odd number of members) as opposed to a single
zookeeper. this was also mentioned for example in the base documentation.
however, if your cluster has a single machine with namenode, secondary
namenode and hbase master, what is the benefit of having a zookeeper
cluster? if that one machine goes down your hbase isn't doing anything
anyhow, so why even bother running a zookeeper ensemble in this case? why
not just use a single zookeeper?

are the performance benefits a reason to run a zookeeper ensemble even in
this scenario? (faster reads perhaps)

Re: zookeeper ensemble with hbase (versus single node)

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
Koert,
 I think this is a more appropriate question for the HBase mailing
list. HBase uses ZooKeeper for Master failover. It is possible that if
the Master is down and namenode/others are up, HBase can failiover to
the new master. You have a good point of having ZK running on
Master/NN/SNN, so you'd have to avoid running ZK on those machines.
Hope that helps.

mahadev

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Yes.  It is nice to still have a valid indicator of what is up and down
after a critical node goes down.

This is independent of hbase.  If you have a system with a critical
function monitored by ZK, then you would like that monitoring to survive
the loss of that single node.