Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/07 22:05:10 UTC

Versioned Documentation by SCA Java Releases

Hi,

The request for "better documentation" was amongst the top ranked feedback
that we received from the user survey in December. I am starting to work on
this (with your help of course).

One of the first steps is to establish a mechanism to have current and up to
date documentation for each release. As it stands today, we have one version
of the documentation that is called the latest [1]. Sometimes the content is
ahead of the latest implementation and we have notes in the docs that state
"not all is implemented yet". This worked fine for a while, but now that 1.x
is maturing and 2.x is staring, it will cause confusion.

Can we agree that moving forward we would have documentation per major (x.x)
release?

This means a few things:

-          We need to have a wiki space per release. Let's talk about how to
do this in another thread if there is agreement to go ahead.

-          The "downloads and documentation page" [1] would still point to
the latest release and documentation for quick reference, but the release
pages would need to link to the related documentation as well. In example
[2], the page would include a link to its documentation. This ensures that
the archived releases have their corresponding documentation linked into
them.

-          The "downloads and documentation page" [1] would have SCA java
1.x and SCA Java 2.x rows. Each pointing to the latest 1.x or 2.x release
and documentation.

-          When a release is finished, a new documentation space gets
started for the next release which will capture the work for the next
release. This is a more proactive approach to collecting information over
the release cycle rather than creating documentation at the tail end of the
release.

Does this sound reasonable?

[1]: http://tuscany.apache.org/tuscany-downloads-documentations.html

[2]: http://tuscany.apache.org/sca-java-releases.html

Re: Versioned Documentation by SCA Java Releases

Posted by Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com>.
haleh mahbod wrote:
> in the scenario where we would have 1.4, 1.4.1, 1.5 and 2.0 these
> means 3 documentation wikis (1.4, 1.5 and 2.0) ?
>> Yes. Typically 1.x.x contains bug fixes and no major features.
>
> Another option would be to have a 1.x and 2.x and each release ship a
> snapshot of the wiki as it's documentation,
>> This is a problem that we are trying to solve. So, today if someone gets
> 1.1, documentation is at 1.4 level. It is confusing.

I am in favor of documentation wikis per release as long as it is done
at the point release or major release and not minor point release (e.g.
done at 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 2.0, but not 1.4.1 and 1.4.2).

I also would prefer that the point release documentation become a
historical snapshot. I would hate to see dual maintenance on older
documentation snapshots.

One side comment. I cringe when I see TO-DO and TO-BE-DONE and
NOT-YET-IMPLEMENTED comments in documentation. These should be used
sparingly, perhaps as a reminder to the reader that a certain important
feature that might be expected is not available in Tuscany. They should
be there for the benefit of the reader, and not as a note to the next
editor to clean up. (Sorry, this sounds like a rant, but I'm not venting
at anyone in particular. I just want to add a helpful reminder.)

--
Thanks, Dan Becker

Re: Versioned Documentation by SCA Java Releases

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
in the scenario where we would have 1.4, 1.4.1, 1.5 and 2.0 these
means 3 documentation wikis (1.4, 1.5 and 2.0) ?
> Yes. Typically 1.x.x contains bug fixes and no major features.

Another option would be to have a 1.x and 2.x and each release ship a
snapshot of the wiki as it's documentation,
> This is a problem that we are trying to solve. So, today if someone gets
1.1, documentation is at 1.4 level. It is confusing.

As for the space, we can talk about how to do this effectively so that we
don't waste a lot of space in another thread.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
I have installed confluence locally, and I'm prototyping some formats
that would facilitate navigation throughout the documentation and
still make export possible and simple. Once I get something good, I'll
share with the list and we could go ahead with the creation with the
new wiki spaces.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:42 PM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree it would be great to be able to include downlaodable doc in a
> release, the pdf formatting isn't very good though, i'd guess we'd be more
> likely to succeed with the html export though even with that we may need to
> do a bit of reorganizing of the website to make the export work without a
> lot of manual work.
>
> Whatever, we'll still need a way to version the doc on the website and
> multiple wiki spaces seem like a good way to do that, i've added a JIRA to
> keep track of this - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-2775 and
> added it to 2.0-M1 as we need somewhere to start doing some doc for the M1
> release.

Thanks... I also agree that multiple wiki (1.x and 2.x) would be best.
it would allow us to use a different navigation schema from the
website and would also allow us to manage versions more easy.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.

   called sca-java-bindingjms-x.x.html<http://tuscany.apache.org/sca-java-bindingjms.html>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 9:05 PM, haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The request for "better documentation" was amongst the top ranked feedback
> that we received from the user survey in December. I am starting to work on
> this (with your help of course).
>

> One of the first steps is to establish a mechanism to have current and up
> to date documentation for each release. As it stands today, we have one
> version of the documentation that is called the latest [1]. Sometimes the
> content is ahead of the latest implementation and we have notes in the docs
> that state "not all is implemented yet". This worked fine for a while, but
> now that 1.x is maturing and 2.x is staring, it will cause confusion.
>

> Can we agree that moving forward we would have documentation per major
> (x.x) release?
>

> This means a few things:
>
> -          We need to have a wiki space per release. Let's talk about how
> to do this in another thread if there is agreement to go ahead.
>
> -          The "downloads and documentation page" [1] would still point to
> the latest release and documentation for quick reference, but the release
> pages would need to link to the related documentation as well. In example
> [2], the page would include a link to its documentation. This ensures that
> the archived releases have their corresponding documentation linked into
> them.
>
> -          The "downloads and documentation page" [1] would have SCA java
> 1.x and SCA Java 2.x rows. Each pointing to the latest 1.x or 2.x release
> and documentation.
>
> -          When a release is finished, a new documentation space gets
> started for the next release which will capture the work for the next
> release. This is a more proactive approach to collecting information over
> the release cycle rather than creating documentation at the tail end of the
> release.
>

> Does this sound reasonable?
>

> [1]: http://tuscany.apache.org/tuscany-downloads-documentations.html
>
> [2]: http://tuscany.apache.org/sca-java-releases.html

That all sounds reasonable to me. It might end up with quite a lot of wiki
spaces over time so we may need to check with the confluence admin folks if
there's any issues with doing that, but with our current rate of major
releases its not going to be a problem in the near future so I say go for
it.

   ...ant