Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jonathan Carlson <jc...@is.com> on 2001/02/14 23:12:32 UTC

Struts and Turbine

I am new to Struts and Turbine and am trying to get a feel for their
compatibility from the Struts perspective.  The Turbine site says that it
can be integrated with JSP, which I infer to include Struts.  However, it
*seems* that Turbine developers prefer the templating systems over Struts
(maybe I'm wrong about that).  Does that mean that Turbine makes a lot of
template assumptions which would make it hard to use with Struts?  I
understand the push-MVC vs pull-MVC philosophical differences between the
template systems and Struts.

Are there a lot of Struts users using major Turbine components like the user
access control module?  If so, is it 2% 50% or 90%?  In other words, how
compatible are they really?  I checked the archives but didn't see much that
answered this question.

What I'm really getting at is that I don't see much on either the Struts web
site or the Turbine site that refers to each other.  Considering they are
both Apache projects, the perceived silence about each other makes me kind
of nervous.

Hopefully I haven't asked too many questions in one e-mail :-)

Jonathan Carlson
Software Developer
jcarlson@is.com

Re: Struts and Turbine

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.
I could amplify my opinions, but they would still be only my opinions.
Your mileage may vary.

The best way to learn more about Struts and Turbine is to try each one
on for size.

Different people choose different development environments for different
reasons. Many times it has more to do with the way the developers think
about a problem then something you can get from a bullet list of
features.

Jon Stevens has mentioned putting together an actual evaluation of the
frameworks, and I have suggested that we implement a common test
application in each, like a kind of "Rosetta stone". But that will
likely be some time coming.

Re: Struts and Turbine

Posted by Sebastien Cesbron <sc...@ifrance.com>.
Ted, could you please explain more precisely this comparison ? What do
you mean by "results-orientated" and "standards-orientated" and what do
you mean by "high-performance omnibus solution".

Thanks a lot

Sebastien

Re: Struts and Turbine

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.
Jonathan Carlson wrote:
> Are there a lot of Struts users using major Turbine components like the user
> access control module?  If so, is it 2% 50% or 90%?  In other words, how
> compatible are they really?  I checked the archives but didn't see much that
> answered this question.
>
> What I'm really getting at is that I don't see much on either the Struts web
> site or the Turbine site that refers to each other.  Considering they are
> both Apache projects, the perceived silence about each other makes me kind
> of nervous.

Since technologies on many of the Jakarta products are starting to
overlap, we are discussing a component sharing library on the General
list. This would make it much easier for Jakarta products (as well as
others) to share individual components. Right now, a lot of the pieces
of an individual product depend on several other pieces, which makes it
difficult to take the banana without getting the whole gorilla. If you
have an interest in this sort of thing, see
< http://husted.com/about/jakarta/library.html >

Turbine is very results-orientated, and is a good choice for advanced
developers looking for a high-performance, omnibus solution.

Struts is very standards-orientated, and is a good choice for enterprise
developers looking for something that will fit well with their own big
picture.

-- Tel 716 425-0252; Fax 716 223-2506.
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/