Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com> on 2007/07/03 20:13:24 UTC

How to update docs for 2.1?

Hi,

I have some pending fixes for C2.1 documentation in my local checkout of site. Do you know how to publish this changes? I've searched for
any instructions but without luck.

If you have publishing working on your computer I can send you a patch.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: How to update docs for 2.1?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> David Crossley pisze:
> >
> >No it is not. That is how the cocoon website is still managed.
> >The ASF Infrastructure asks that all websites be stored in SVN.
>
> I would say that's crucial sentence that helps to understand whole setup.
> Now the rest makes sense.

Good idea. We need to make that more clear at CocoonWebsiteUpdate wiki.

It is already emphatic at
http://apache.org/dev/#web
http://apache.org/dev/project-site.html#edit

-David

Re: How to update docs for 2.1?

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.

Re: How to update docs for 2.1?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
hepabolu wrote:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski said the following on 4/7/07 10:12:
> >
> >Thanks David and Joerg. I'm really confused, wiki page is talking most
> >of the time about checking out /site from svn and updating docs there.
>
> Right. This is ancient. Please remove that text from the wiki page.

No it is not. That is how the cocoon website is still managed.
The ASF Infrastructure asks that all websites be stored in SVN.

For ours,
ssh people.apache.org
svn info /www/cocoon.apache.org/
which shows that it is our cocoon/site SVN, as described
by that wiki page.

Re: How to update docs for 2.1?

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.
hepabolu pisze:

> I should say:
> - if it holds for both 2.1 and 2.2 -> add appropriate 2.2 collection to
> the document
> - if it is different in 2.1 and 2.2 -> copy the 2.1 doc and create a new
> doc in the appropriate 2.2 collection and modify that
>
> In Daisy documents can belong to various collections, so you can simply
> add the appropriate collections to get it to be published in both
> document sets.
>
> FYI the collection can be added on one of the tabs in the doc editor.

Thanks Helma, it was very helpful.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: How to update docs for 2.1?

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.
Grzegorz Kossakowski said the following on 4/7/07 16:03:
>> Both:
>> - generation of 2.1 docs
>> - base for 2.2 docs
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>
> Almost. :) If I want to start a document that is based on something from
> 2.1 I should _copy_ that document instead of _moving_ right? Legacy docs
> should be modified only for improvements, right?

I should say:
- if it holds for both 2.1 and 2.2 -> add appropriate 2.2 collection to
the document
- if it is different in 2.1 and 2.2 -> copy the 2.1 doc and create a new
doc in the appropriate 2.2 collection and modify that

In Daisy documents can belong to various collections, so you can simply
add the appropriate collections to get it to be published in both
document sets.

FYI the collection can be added on one of the tabs in the doc editor.

Bye, Helma

Re: How to update docs for 2.1?

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.
hepabolu pisze:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski said the following on 4/7/07 10:12:
>
> First: some idiot decided to 'service' my ADSL connection, thus cutting
> me off and now three parties are haggling about who is responsible for
> reconnecting me. End result: I'm on dial-up for the time being and I
> won't read/answer much.

Bad things happens. I hope you will sort out that issue quickly.

>> Thanks David and Joerg. I'm really confused, wiki page is talking most
>> of the time about checking out /site from svn and updating docs there.
>
> Right. This is ancient. Please remove that text from the wiki page.

Ok, will do it.

>> Does this means we really use Daisy and docs from legacydocs to
>> generate 2.1 documentation or not? What should I edit?
>
> Yes we do. The old way was too time consuming and therefore a blocker
> for writing docs. That's why we moved to Daisy.

I see. I'm already familiar with Daisy so I'm fine with that way.

>> I thought that legacydocs import to Daisy was meant as a start base
>> for 2.2 docs. Could you explain it little more?
>
> Both:
> - generation of 2.1 docs
> - base for 2.2 docs
>
> Hope this helps.

Almost. :) If I want to start a document that is based on something from 2.1 I should _copy_ that document instead of _moving_ right? Legacy
docs should be modified only for improvements, right?

Thanks for your explanations.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: How to update docs for 2.1?

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.
Grzegorz Kossakowski said the following on 4/7/07 10:12:

First: some idiot decided to 'service' my ADSL connection, thus cutting
me off and now three parties are haggling about who is responsible for
reconnecting me. End result: I'm on dial-up for the time being and I
won't read/answer much.

>>> Isn't 2.1 documentation also generated from Daisy? That means you
>>> have to integrate your changes there. I'd guess here:
>>> http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/legacydocs/654.html.

This is true.

Re: How to update docs for 2.1?

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.
David Crossley pisze:
> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>>
>>> I have some pending fixes for C2.1 documentation in my local checkout of
>>> site. Do you know how to publish this changes?
>
> You can use the quick-fix method by unpacking and
> committing last night's generated docs.
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonWebsiteUpdate
>
> -David
>
>> Isn't 2.1 documentation also generated from Daisy? That means you have
>> to integrate your changes there. I'd guess here:
>> http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/legacydocs/654.html.

Thanks David and Joerg. I'm really confused, wiki page is talking most of the time about checking out /site from svn and updating docs
there. However, there is a statement:

Re: How to update docs for 2.1?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: How to update docs for 2.1?