Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Amit Pange <am...@prime4services.com> on 2014/03/13 10:41:33 UTC

Question on Licensing

Hi,

We are planning to install Open Office for our colleagues. Do we need to buy any licenses to use open office?

I read something on the website regarding Apache 2 License. But I was wondering if the Open Office is a free to use software, what purpose an Apache 2 License solve?

Awaiting your reply.

Freundliche Grüße / Best regards,

Amit Ashok Pange
Project Engineer
________________________________
[cid:image001.gif@01CF3EA8.03152920]<http://www.prime4services.com/>
mobile              +49 173 29 92 132
fon (central)      +49 721 60 957 888
fax                   +49 721 60 957 980
Rüppurrer Str. 1 | 76137 Karlsruhe | Germany
www.prime4services.com<http://www.prime4services.com/>

Court of Jurisdiction Amtsgericht Mannheim | Germany
Commercial Register HRB 708033 | VAT N° DE 267661449
Managing Directors Beate Krüger | Yasmine Peters | Marco Glauner
________________________________
P Before printing, think about the environment

Re: Question on Licensing

Posted by 史周波 <zh...@cs2c.com.cn>.
Hi,
    The Apache openoffice is opensource  software, so you  don't need
pay any money !

beset regards.
shi zhoubo
于 2014年03月13日 17:41, Amit Pange 写道:

Re: Question on Licensing

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 5:41 AM, Amit Pange
<am...@prime4services.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>

> We are planning to install Open Office for our colleagues. Do we need to
> buy any licenses to use open office?
>

> I read something on the website regarding Apache 2 License. But I was
> wondering if the Open Office is a free to use software, what purpose an
> Apache 2 License solve?

The word "license", in this context, means "permission".  So a software
license describes what permissions have been given to you to use, modify,
redistribute, etc., the software.   Commercial software vendors sell the
license (permission) for their software.  Open source projects, like those
from the Apache Software Foundation, give the license for free.  But we
still have a license which explains exactly what your permissions are.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Question on Licensing

Posted by James Knott <ja...@rogers.com>.
Amit Pange wrote:
> Do we need to buy any licenses to use open office?

No, just install on as many computers as you wish.  Feel free to
encourage the employees to install it at home too.