Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Vincent Lefevre <vi...@vinc17.org> on 2003/07/23 14:14:00 UTC

svn doesn't honor $http_proxy under Linux

"svn co http://..." doesn't work here because I'm behind a proxy
and svn doesn't connect to the proxy declared by the http_proxy
environment variable. Many programs support the *_proxy environment
variables (wget, lynx, w3m...) and I think that subversion should
also support them (configuring every software to use the proxies
would be very tedious, in particular on a laptop that can be
connected to various networks).

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vi...@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International des

Re: svn doesn't honor $http_proxy under Linux

Posted by Vincent Lefevre <vi...@vinc17.org>.
On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 08:55:38 -0700, Jack Repenning wrote:
> At 10:53 PM +0900 7/24/03, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> >
> >Then, would it be possible to put environment variables to the config
> >files and could the port be optionally declared with the host, so that
> >the folllowing would work in the "servers" file?
> >
> >http-proxy-exceptions = $no_proxy
> >http-proxy-host = $http_proxy
>
> Can you explain what those would do?  I'm feeling sorta ignorant
> here, but it sounds like somet things I was vaguely thinking about
> the "svn+xxx://" scheme.  Maybe if I could understand your ide
> better, I'd understand my one ;-)

I was talking about HTTP proxies, so this would be for things like
that:

  svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk subversion

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vi...@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
At 10:53 PM +0900 7/24/03, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

>Then, would it be possible to put environment variables to the config
>files and could the port be optionally declared with the host, so that
>the folllowing would work in the "servers" file?
>
>http-proxy-exceptions = $no_proxy
>http-proxy-host = $http_proxy

Can you explain what those would do?  I'm feeling sorta ignorant
here, but it sounds like somet things I was vaguely thinking about
the "svn+xxx://" scheme.  Maybe if I could understand your ide
better, I'd understand my one ;-)
--
-==-
Jack Repenning

Re: svn doesn't honor $http_proxy under Linux

Posted by Vincent Lefevre <vi...@vinc17.org>.

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 11:14:00PM +0900, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> "svn co http://..." doesn't work here because I'm behind a proxy
> and svn doesn't connect to the proxy declared by the http_proxy
> environment variable. Many programs support the *_proxy environment
> variables (wget, lynx, w3m...) and I think that subversion should
> also support them (configuring every software to use the proxies
> would be very tedious, in particular on a laptop that can be
> connected to various networks).

The http_proxy environment variable is not an official standard, and
lacks the expressiveness and flexibility that subversion's built-in
proxy configuration mechanism provides.

--ben