Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2006/08/14 17:27:17 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] How Apache manages all its children - Add More Info

jayaram.g@tcs.com wrote:

> I wonder if anybody has tried Windows prefork for Apache 2.2.2.

The issue is the lack-of-fork in the Win32 API.  It's supported at the ntdll
layer, meaning that all the win32-ism's such as their thread-local storage
model don't survive the fork() at all.  For pure NT kernel code it would be
fine, for blended code (even the clib uses the Win32 API) it's very quirky.

> Prefork model adds to the stability I feel.

For buggy modules you are absolutely right, it disrupts only the connection
which caused the instability - and requests which don't trigger the bugs
continue to work fine.

> I am not sure if code in one thread corrupts the heap what will happen?

Same as in worker (for every thread within one process)