Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Böhringer Jochen <Jo...@tcc-products.de> on 2006/10/11 10:38:36 UTC

Extending Treetable component with drag & drop

Hello,

we have to build a new web application containing a treetable showing hierarchical relations between organizational units as a tree column and other data for the organizational units in the other columns of the table like unit name, address and so on.

This can be accomplished using the treeTable component of tomahawk or the treeTable component delivered by Trinidad.

But an additional requirement to showing the data is to let the hierarchical structure of the tree be modified by the user.

Our idea is to let the user drag one of the rows in the table and drop it onto another row in the table. The dragged row and its child nodes should be attached as a child node to the row it was dropped on.
These modifications in the tree should be visible on the client side but should also be reflected in the data model on the server, because the modifications have to be persisted to the database.

So my questions are:

- Is there already a component available which shows a treetable and has drag & drop support?
- If we have to extend an existing component, what is easier to extend? Trinidad Treetable or Tomahawk treetable? If we extend one of the components it would be our aim to integrate this extension into the existing component to share this extension with others as an optional feature which can be controlled by tag attributes.
- Is it a good choice to combine ajax4jsf with Trinidad or tomahawk?
- If we have to realize drag & drop ourselves: Is dojo a good choice for this? Is it a good idea to integrate it ourselves or should we use something like jMaki?
- Which version of JSF should we use in an application starting in development now and releasing the first version containing the drag&drop treetable end of the year? 1.1 or 1.2?

And last but not least: We want to use facelets as view handler and tomcat 5.5 as servlet container :-)

Thanks for reading this bunch of questions.
Any hints regarding some or all of my questions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
Jochen

Re: Extending Treetable component with drag & drop

Posted by Martin Grotzke <ma...@javakaffee.de>.
On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 14:14 +0300, Jana Parvanova wrote:
> I am just trying to evaluate a similar solution for a new project.
> So far we have tried using MyFaces, ajax4jsf and Rico
> (http://openrico.org/rico/demos.page);
>
> The approach was:
> - use Rico for drag-and-drop (quite easy to use and extend)
> - use ajax4jsf to reflect changes to the underlying model without submitting
> the whole page
>
> The whole thing worked rather smoothly (at least at first sight).
> Let me know if you want more details or sample code.
Yeah, it would be really nice to have such cool components/samples in
the wiki!

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Grotzke
Online    http://www.javakaffee.de/blog/

Re: Extending Treetable component with drag & drop