Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2023/02/10 18:43:39 UTC

[LAZY CONSENSUS] single vote thread for NetBeans 17

Hi,

Due to previously discussed issues and delays caused by running
multiple voting threads on the various convenience binaries, we'd like
to try a single voting thread covering all artefacts for NetBeans 17.
We can then review after the release.

Eric and I have put together a vote email template here -
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Voting+template

The primary change is to include a voting form similar to that used by
OpenOffice, to be copied into and filled out with every vote.  As well
as voting +1 or -1 on the release, we'll ask you to tick off which
artefacts you've checked with JDK and OS info where appropriate.
Validating the sources will remain a requirement for voting - checking
every convenience binary will not.

Adding as a lazy consensus thread in case anyone wishes to -1 with
concerns before we proceed.  +1's welcomed but not required.

We should hopefully be in a position to run the release vote next week.

Thanks and best wishes,

Neil

Re: [LAZY CONSENSUS] single vote thread for NetBeans 17

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
I like it, so a non-lazy +1 from me.

questions:

The text mentions sig testing but there are no checkboxes for that. This
creates an uncertainly whether or not someone read the manual or skipped
to the boxes.

(also: should I try to automate the sig test in a manually triggered
workflow?)

> |[ ] I have tested the binary zip with <JDK> on <OS>|

> |[ ] I have tested the Maven artefacts|
those are very "catch-all". This could be anything between "i checked
the welcome page" and "i opened some RL <insert language> projects and
worked with the release for the rest of the day". Would a "what I
tested" section be useful or is this just noise? Since I usually
mentioned what I tested in past voting threads - if I don't have to do
this anymore its fine with me of course.

best regards,
michael

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
+1

I like when ideas are given a chance.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net.INVALID>.
+1

In fact, let's make this a big +1:

    _     ____
  _| |_  |    |
|_   _|  |   |
   |_|    |   |
          |   |
          |   |
          |___|

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
OK, closing this off as decided.  Thanks all!  Vote thread is inbound
and on approach.

Neil

Posted by ehsavoie <em...@gmail.com>.
+1
----------

Posted by Thilina Ranathunga <r....@gmail.com>.
It's a +1 for me.

🙂

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 17 Feb 2023 at 20:27, Antonio <an...@vieiro.net.invalid> wrote:
> I have voted using the template, I think we should rephrase it somewhow.
> It's too verbose to clearly understand.

Thanks.  Will respond in the existing discussion thread about this -
https://lists.apache.org/thread/5y8x2rtx1r6k4cbx7wyqvdm1qkhm0vzs

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net.INVALID>.
Hi,

I have voted using the template, I think we should rephrase it somewhow.
It's too verbose to clearly understand.

Maybe next time we want to clarify what are mandatory actions (should I
check signatures of the main thing being voted on? Any others?) and
optional ones.

A clear checklist would indeed help, something like this:

[ ] Mandatory: Check that https://...../netbeans.zip is well signed.
	1. Download https://...KEYS.
	2. Use "gpg --import KEYS" to import gpt keys.
	3. Download https://....netbeans.asc
	4. Verify using "gpg --verify netbeans.asc netbeans.zip"
[ ] Mandatory: Check that netbeans.zip compiles
	1. Unzip netbeans.zip somewhere.
	2. Run "ant" there.
	3. Run "ant tryme" there.
[ ] Optional: Build a Maven app to print "Hello, World!" to the console
	1. You know how to do this.

Or something like that.

The easier we make this to understand for friday-night, very-tired,
eyestrained voters the more the voters we're gonna have.

Cheers,
Antonio

P.S.: I don't know how to test maven artifacts / vscode. Can take a look
at the generated files, though.