Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Kuchekar <ku...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/16 14:43:02 UTC

Migrating from solr 3.5 to 4.4

Hi,

    We are migrating or solr from 3.5 to 4.4, but stuck at the strategy to
migrate the index.

     I read that we can point the new solr 4.4 to the data index from
previous solr i.e. 3.5. Is my understanding correct? If this is true, can
we change the schema in 4.4 solr. We have many un-stored fields in solr 3.5
schema, which we would like to make stored, so that we can take the
advantage of atomic updates.

     If we cannot change the schema, what is the other best strategy
suggested to do the migration?.

     If we do a csv export from 3.5 solr and then import it in the 4.4
index, we get a problem with copy fields i.e. the value in the copy field
is computed twice. Once from the csv import and other from solr internal
computation.

Is there any other way, by which we can migrate the index from 3.5 to 4.4
solr?.

Looking forward for your reply.

Thanks.
Kuchekar, Nilesh

Re: Migrating from solr 3.5 to 4.4

Posted by "tamanjit.bindra@yahoo.co.in" <ta...@yahoo.co.in>.
/ I read that we can point the new solr 4.4 to the data index from previous
solr i.e. 3.5/
Yes you can do that. It would be even better if you would run an optimize
post migration, it will re-write the segments.

/f this is true, can we change the schema in 4.4 solr. We have many
un-stored fields in solr 3.5 schema, which we would like to make stored, so
that we can take the advantage of atomic updates. /
Changes can be made to the schema, but reindexing would be required for the
data to make unstored data, stored.

/If we do a csv export from 3.5 solr and then import it in the 4.4 index, we
get a problem with copy fields i.e. the value in the copy field is computed
twice. Once from the csv import and other from solr internal computation. /

Have you tried removing the copyField data from the csv? I think it should
work then.

Re: Migrating from solr 3.5 to 4.4

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 8/16/2013 6:43 AM, Kuchekar wrote:
>       If we do a csv export from 3.5 solr and then import it in the 4.4
> index, we get a problem with copy fields i.e. the value in the copy field
> is computed twice. Once from the csv import and other from solr internal
> computation.

Supplemental reply on this specific part:

Your copyField destinations should not be stored.  This is listed as a
specific requirement for atomic updates:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Atomic_Updates#Stored_Values

Thanks,
Shawn