Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/03 03:21:10 UTC

Roadmap for massively revised tree component (possible branch needed)

I wanted to take a moment to brief the MyFaces devlopers on some of my
plans regarding the tree component.  I have been working with Oliver
(the author of the original tree component) and others on a massive
overhaul of that component.

The new and improved tree component will have a much smaller and
simpler code base.  We have several suggestions already from current
MyFaces users on how to improve the configuration options.

I'm planning on breaking several of the interfaces to the existing
tree so it should be known that the new version will not be backwards
compatible.  The new version will, however, provide all of the
functionality of the old and many more new features.  The transition
to the new tags and configuration should be relatively easy and I
wouldn't expect many complaints (especially given the new features.)
In fact, many users have openly requested the very features we would
be providing.

The first rough version of the tree should be ready by the end of next
week.  It is my desire to have that new code checked into CVS as a
starting point so other developers and users can begin to review, make
suggestions/improvements, etc.  Because of changes to the interfaces,
etc. certain classes will no longer function properly.  The plan is to
drop those classes from CVS at that point so that everything compiles.
 (Oliver, I will email you privately about the classes I am planning
on dropping.)  I will also be providing a replacement example page and
updating it as new features are added.

I am thinking that maybe we need to create a branch in CVS so that I
can make these significant changes without disrupting any impending
releases.  If there is no release in the next month or so, then we
could skip the branch.  It would just be understood that the "nightly
build" would have a less than perfect tree component for a while.

Anyways, please let me know about what people think about these
options.  I feel the important thing is to get the code into CVS soon
so the people who are going to be helping me can see it.  Making the
changes on the trunk is probably the easiest option but please be
aware that files will need to be dropped (they can always be restored
obviously.)

Regards,

sean

Re: Roadmap for massively revised tree component (possible branch needed)

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like a plan.  I am going to send a initial working example to
the list today just to get us started.  Later this week I will submit
code for the branch.

sean

Posted by Oliver Rossmueller <ol...@tuxerra.com>.
Sean,

Posted by Duong BaTien <du...@gmail.com>.
Sean Schofield wrote:

>I wanted to take a moment to brief the MyFaces devlopers on some of my
>plans regarding the tree component.  I have been working with Oliver
>(the author of the original tree component) and others on a massive
>overhaul of that component.
>
>The new and improved tree component will have a much smaller and
>simpler code base.  We have several suggestions already from current
>MyFaces users on how to improve the configuration options.
>
>I'm planning on breaking several of the interfaces to the existing
>tree so it should be known that the new version will not be backwards
>compatible.  The new version will, however, provide all of the
>functionality of the old and many more new features.  The transition
>to the new tags and configuration should be relatively easy and I
>wouldn't expect many complaints (especially given the new features.)
>In fact, many users have openly requested the very features we would
>be providing.
>
>The first rough version of the tree should be ready by the end of next
>week.  It is my desire to have that new code checked into CVS as a
>starting point so other developers and users can begin to review, make
>suggestions/improvements, etc.  Because of changes to the interfaces,
>etc. certain classes will no longer function properly.  The plan is to
>drop those classes from CVS at that point so that everything compiles.
> (Oliver, I will email you privately about the classes I am planning
>on dropping.)  I will also be providing a replacement example page and
>updating it as new features are added.
>
>I am thinking that maybe we need to create a branch in CVS so that I
>can make these significant changes without disrupting any impending
>releases.  If there is no release in the next month or so, then we
>could skip the branch.  It would just be understood that the "nightly
>build" would have a less than perfect tree component for a while.
>
>Anyways, please let me know about what people think about these
>options.  I feel the important thing is to get the code into CVS soon
>so the people who are going to be helping me can see it.  Making the
>changes on the trunk is probably the easiest option but please be
>aware that files will need to be dropped (they can always be restored
>obviously.)

I have followed this thread discussion and your enthusiasm for some
time. It's great to have people like you around. Please let us know when
the first compiled batch is in. I will spend sometime to play around
with it and hope to give your some feedback.

BaTien
DBGROUPS