Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com> on 2004/08/02 07:02:41 UTC

ActionServlet class loading problem

During hot deployment in JBoss 3.2.4 and 3.2.5 / Tomcat 5 (both on Red
Hat and Windows 2000), ActionServlet is failing to initialize and
logging this message to standard out not every time, but quite often:

Error: [ActionServlet] javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Cannot
initialize RequestProcessor of class MyRequestProcessor:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: No ClassLoaders found for:
MyRequestProcessor

There seems to be a pattern to this occurrence but I won't go into the
details of it here unless someone asks, except to say, if you just keep
redeploying the same app without any changes to struts-config.xml and
without redeploying other apps in between, it doesn't seem to happen.

Every time this happens, I have to clean out the server tmp directories
and restart the server.

Is this a bug in Struts or in Tomcat? I would appreciate any tips. This
doesn't seem to happen when I don't plug in my own RequestProcessor.

Thanks,
Erik

Re: ActionServlet class loading problem

Posted by Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com>.
OK, I was wrong, so far, not good. It doesn't seem to matter which
ClassLoader the server is using (JBoss' or Tomcat's -- I am modifying
jboss-service.xml as you suggest) -- I still encounter this problem.

I deploy Foo.war for the first time -- all is OK. No exceptions during
deployment, and the app runs correctly.

I redeploy Foo.war (hot), having made some changes (not sure exactly
what changes trigger this and what changes don't yet, sometimes it
happens, sometimes not, it seems -- see below).

I get this error message:

Error [ActionServlet] javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Cannot
initialize RequestProcessor of class FooRequestProcessor:
java.lang.NullPointerException

(In the past I have also seen ClassNotFoundException on
FooRequestProcessor.class instead of NullPointerException there).

I'm not sure what would cause this NullPointerException, but all
FooRequestProcessor does is override processRoles and
processActionPerform (perhaps init and destroy need to be overridden for
some reason?).

So, I go into the struts-config.xml file and comment out the
"processorClass" attribute of my Controller configuration, changing it
to this:

<controller/>

I figure that's where the problem is, so I'll just get rid of it and
see. I rebuild and redeploy, but I get the same error message!

Error [ActionServlet] javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Cannot
initialize RequestProcessor of class FooRequestProcessor:
java.lang.NullPointerException

How is this possible, when struts-config.xml knows nothing anymore about
FooRequestProcessor? Somehow something stale is still being considered . . .

So I'll go it one better, I'll even make sure FooRequestProcessor.class
is no longer in the war file at all, and redeploy (sorry if I've
overlooked something blatantly simple at this point).

Again:

Error [ActionServlet] javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Cannot
initialize RequestProcessor of class FooRequestProcessor:
java.lang.NullPointerException

I get the feeling I am being ignored here . . .

So I go back and set struts-config.xml, etc., back to their original
states. Then I stop my server, clean out the work and tmp directories,
and remove Foo.war from the deploy directory. I restart my server with a
clean slate.

I run ant and hot deploy, and, this time, everything starts up OK (no
matter whether NullPointerException or ClassNotFoundException was the
original culprit before the server restart).

But, how many more hot deploys until the same error crops up again?
Using the Tomcat ClassLoader, the answer is now 1 (didn't seem to always
be that way for me). Using the JBoss ClassLoader, it seems to vary. If I
don't change anything and just keep redeploying the same war file over
and over, it never seems to happen.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here? I sense that there is a
problem with "unloading" of classes here, but this only seems to happen
with Struts apps (though I can't say I have tested extensively with
JBoss 3.2.x-Tomcat 5) . . . Or am I just overlooking something simple?

Erik

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:26:12 -0400, Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Anyone have any idea what is going on here? I sense that there is a
> problem with "unloading" of classes here, but this only seems to happen
> with Struts apps (though I can't say I have tested extensively with
> JBoss 3.2.x-Tomcat 5) . . . Or am I just overlooking something simple?

I'm afraid I don't have any direct experience with JBoss+Tomcat ...
only with Tomcat standalone (will your app run on Tomcat standalone?
if so, trying that might provide some clues).  I can tell you, though,
that Struts has absolutely zero control over the class loader provided
by the servlet container you are running in, and zero influence over
how the container might attempt to implement "hot deploy".  Someone
else is going to have to speak to what JBoss does when they integrate
Tomcat.

> Erik

Craig

Re: ActionServlet class loading problem

Posted by Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com>.

Posted by Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com>.
Thanks a lot guys.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jacob skariah <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Mr Weber,

      I have also experienced the same problem with my
applictaion. If more than one application deployed in
Tomcat, this happens if we run one application after
another.
I couldnt yet find a better solution than deleting the
work folder contents and reloading the application
again.

Waiting for a better solution from someone here !

Thanx for the reply