Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Gian Maria Ricci - aka Alkampfer <al...@nablasoft.com> on 2016/01/21 12:37:38 UTC

Couple of question about Virtualization and Load Balancer

Hi,

I've a couple of quick question about production setup.

The first one is about virtualization, I'd like to know if there are any
official test on loss of performance in virtualization environment. I think
that the loss of performance is negligible, and quick question on test
infrastructure is confirming this, but I'd like to know if there is some
official numbers on this.

The second question is about Load Balancer: any clue on how to automatically
change the configuration on the load balancer if some of the node goes down?
I'm looking to advices on what to monitor, the simplest solution could be
issuing some test query and verify if the node is able to answer, but it
would be nice to know if there are some standard metrics to monitor to
proactively alert. (Es. Heap size almost full, so it would be probably
better to remove the node from the balancer and alert a human to have a look
at the status of the node).

Many thanks.

--
Gian Maria Ricci
Cell: +39 320 0136949

 <http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Gian%20Maria%20Ricci-4025635>
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/gianmariaricci>
<https://twitter.com/alkampfer>   <http://feeds.feedburner.com/AlkampferEng>

RE: Couple of question about Virtualization and Load Balancer

Posted by Gian Maria Ricci - aka Alkampfer <al...@nablasoft.com>.
Thanks,

It is clear that a test is strongly dependent of your data / hardware etc. My question was a little bit more general because I've read on some article in the internet and in book "Apache Solr Enterprise Search server" that virtualization should be avoided. Since this was a general suggestion, I was curious if there are some data to back up this suggestion. For what I know, modern hardware and virtualization tool are really good, and VM usually does have negligible loss of performances than bare metal.

For load balancer it is true that server client API in SolrJ handle everything, but for .NET I do not remember that a client with the same functionalities exists. Moreover some customer prefer using direct access with HTTP calls.

Is there a list of all client libraries, other than Solrj for different technologies that can do an internal routing and round robin? (Ex: .NET, Node.JS, etc)

Thanks a lot.

--
Gian Maria Ricci
Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gian Maria Ricci - aka Alkampfer <al...@nablasoft.com>.
Yes, this is a common error I've seen in the past even with MongoDB, keeping
all the replica on the same Box and on the same storage defice. Even with
virtualization I always suggest having at least disks on different and
distinct SAN. VM usually runs on vSphere or Hyper-v with SCVMM so they can
tolerate failure of the hardware with live migration.

Thanks.

--
Gian Maria Ricci
Cell: +39 320 0136949

Posted by Emir Arnautovic <em...@sematext.com>.

Posted by "Davis, Daniel (NIH/NLM) [C]" <da...@nih.gov>.

[https://ci5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/5oNMOYAeFXZ_LDKanNfoLRHC37mAZkVVhkPN7QxMdA0K5JW2m0bm8azJe7oWZMNt8fKHNX1bzrUTd-kIyE40CmwT2Mlf8OI=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.codewrecks.com/files/signature/mvp.png]<http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Gian%20Maria%20Ricci-4025635> [https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/f-unQbmk6NtkHFspO5Y6x4jlIf_xrmGLUT3fU9y_7VUHSFUjLs7aUIMdZQYTh3eWIA0sBnvNX3WGXCU59chKXLuAHi2ArWdAcBclKA=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.codewrecks.com/files/signature/linkedin.jpg] <http://www.linkedin.com/in/gianmariaricci>  [https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/gjapMzu3KEakBQUstx_-cN7gHJ_GpcIZNEPjCzOYMrPl-r1DViPE378qNAQyEWbXMTj6mcduIAGaApe9qHG1KN_hyFxQAIkdNSVT=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.codewrecks.com/files/signature/twitter.jpg] <https://twitter.com/alkampfer>  [https://ci5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/iuDOD2sdaxRDvTwS8MO7-CcXchpNJX96uaWuvagoVLcjpAPsJi88XeOonE4vHT6udVimo7yL9ZtdrYueEfH7jXnudmi_Vvw=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.codewrecks.com/files/signature/rss.jpg] <http://feeds.feedburner.com/AlkampferEng>  [https://ci6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/EBJjfkBzcsSlAzlyR88y86YXcwaKfn3x7ydAObL1vtjJYclQr_l5TvrFx4PQ5qLNYW3yp7Ig66DJ-0tPJCDbDmYAFcamPQehwg=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.codewrecks.com/files/signature/skype.jpg]