Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2005/02/04 09:38:08 UTC

Re: Mac NetInfo (was Re: Setting up IDEA with Maven)

This is really interesting stuff here on Apple's Open Directory 2
product which is effectively OpenLDAP + MIT Kerberos + Samba:

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/open_directory.html

This white paper on it shows more details:

http://images.apple.com/server/pdfs/L31755A_OpenDirect2_TB_final.pdf

It ust have been a real challenge for them to set up and integrate all
three servers.  Btw this is all without DNS, DHCP, NTP services.
Perhaps they have other products in OSX Server to do this.

Alex

Posted by Brennan Stehling <of...@gmail.com>.
I have been working with Alex so I can get an understanding of the
codebase.  I have been bit busy these last 2 weeks so I have only been
able to get in a few hours so far.  In the past I was not satisfied
with what was available to find documentation related to Unix so I
created this site.

http://www.greasydaemon.com/directory/

It simply provides an intro to several key topics and then links to
other online resources I felt supported the topic.  Now I would expect
to maintain the wiki on Apache DS to provide similar documentation.

I will also review whatever documentation which is already available
and work to augment any weaker areas.  And as I learn to use Apache DS
and each protocol provider I will keep notes.  And if anyone would
like me to document anything specifically I would be happy to do it.
I may need some assistance with organizing the details so I can
produce the proper documentation.

So far I am pretty open during the day tomorrow so I hope to put in a
big chunk of time to get a more thorough understanding of the project
I will be on Skype and IRC while I work.

Brennan

--
Brennan Stehling
 + http://brennan.offwhite.net/blog/

Re: Mac NetInfo (was Re: Setting up IDEA with Maven)

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Brennan Stehling wrote:

>On MacOS X they can generally leverage other applications like Bind
>and ISC DHCP which have been around a while.  I think OpenLDAP could
>be a good server, but the compile and setup process is difficult.

Yeah that was one of my gripes with it.  Then there is the interop side
with MIT Kerberos of Himdhal.  You ever try that.  It's insane - I don't
think I have ever been successful at it.  Plus look under the hood and
try to navigate that code base with all the #IFDEFS that chew it up.  I
thought I could add triggers to this code but it was very brittle so I
gave up and started from scratch in Java.

>I think we can learn from their problems.

Great attitude!

>For Apache DS I hope to focus on work which will help developers
>install and use it by providing higher quality documentation than you
>can get with OpenLDAP.  And the fact that we can simply deploy it with
>all of the necessary dependencies will already give us an advantage.

Awesome we really need help with that as you can see from our site.  The
spelling errors are probably all my doing.  Even the people on this team
that are not native English speakers write better I, haha.  Plus quality
documentation is the mark of a really healthy OSS project I think so
this will be great.

>And if you also compare what Apache DS will be able to do for DNS to
>what Bind does, there will also be another advantage.  By placing the
>zone data into the directory and providing an intuitive interface
>instead of just text files, which may allow for syntax errors, we will
>be able to bypass many of the problems which I have experienced with
>years of maintaining Bind zones on FreeBSD.

I can't wait to start playing with DNS actually.  I'm working on a few
things so I can make some time to start generating all the Object and
State Factories for these protocols from schemas.  After that point I'll
grab DNS for a lil bit.  Enrique and I played with Kerberos over the
past few days getting some features in there.  We had a blast making
Linux and the Kerberos Jaas module work with it.

>I believe we can emulate what PHP did to Perl for website scripting
>and I will do what I can to help.

I think we certainly can start another Internet/OSS phenomenon here.
It's up to us right?  There are so many incredible things ApacheDS
brings to the table for the first time in terms of technology but more
importantly I'm begining to see some serious community cohesion.  That
is what will make us more successful than just having the right
technology in the right place.  For example when guys like you grab
ahold of something, share ideas and help move this project we're doing
very well as a community.

Thanks,
Alex

Posted by Martin Wegner <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Brennan Stehling <of...@gmail.com>.
On MacOS X they can generally leverage other applications like Bind
and ISC DHCP which have been around a while.  I think OpenLDAP could
be a good server, but the compile and setup process is difficult.  My
biggest problems were linking in the DBM and security libraries
properly on FreeBSD.

I think we can learn from their problems.  Also, Perl was once the
most popular web scripting language and suddenly PHP took over.   It
was basically the same thing with very similar scripting syntax but it
provided a smoother learning path than Perl and promoted itself better
as a web scripting language.  Their modules for web technologies were
either integrated by default or easier to get than pouring through the
thousands on CPAN.