Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Stefan Egli <eg...@adobe.com> on 2013/07/01 16:10:47 UTC

[Discovery] missing features and 3rd party implementation of discovery.api

Hi,

I've created SLING-2939 [0] to track an additional, 3rd party based implementation of the discovery.api. The idea is to complement the discovery.impl (which is ootb, entirely sling-based) with a more mature, specialized, scalable implementation based on a clustering library. I've summarized some pros/cons of possible candidates, including some already received feedback in the ticket. I would appreciated further feedback!

It looks like Zookeeper/Curator would be a very good fit, requirement-wise – but there was also an argument for using JGroups (or something like Infinispan ontop of it), although that's LGPL at the moment.

At the same time, it might be a good time to discuss if there's any need for api changes, like 'topology-wide leader' or 'grouping/spliting/organizing topologies'. In discussions surrounding topologies, other more consensus-like topics came up (things which zookeeper/curator would cover nicely). The question here is though if that fits into the discovery api itself or if that's not something completely different and out-of-scope of discovery.

Thanks,
Cheers,
Stefan
--
[0] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-2939

Re: [Discovery] missing features and 3rd party implementation of discovery.api

Posted by Stefan Egli <eg...@adobe.com>.
or we just use Hazelcast.. :)

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: [Discovery] missing features and 3rd party implementation of discovery.api

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@lmn.ro>.
On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Stefan Egli <eg...@adobe.com> wrote:
> Does the fact that JGroups uses LGPL at the moment (they plan to switch to
> APL 'soon') prevent it from being used in Sling?

AFAIK LGPL is a blocker, see [1]

Robert

[1]: http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x

> Cheers,
> Stefan
>
> On 7/3/13 3:05 PM, "Carsten Ziegeler" <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for taking this up, Stefan.
>>
>>I think we should also try to close down the first version of the
>>discovery
>>api and release this, so other parts of our code can really rely on this
>>api.
>>
>>Apart from that, I don't have a strong preference, although it would be
>>nice to just use Apache stuff :)
>>
>>Regards
>>Carsten
>>

>>2013/7/1 Stefan Egli <eg...@adobe.com>
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've created SLING-2939 [0] to track an additional, 3rd party based
>>> implementation of the discovery.api. The idea is to complement the
>>> discovery.impl (which is ootb, entirely sling-based) with a more mature,
>>> specialized, scalable implementation based on a clustering library. I've
>>> summarized some pros/cons of possible candidates, including some already
>>> received feedback in the ticket. I would appreciated further feedback!
>>>
>>> It looks like Zookeeper/Curator would be a very good fit,
>>>requirement-wise
>>> ­ but there was also an argument for using JGroups (or something like
>>> Infinispan ontop of it), although that's LGPL at the moment.
>>>
>>> At the same time, it might be a good time to discuss if there's any need
>>> for api changes, like 'topology-wide leader' or
>>> 'grouping/spliting/organizing topologies'. In discussions surrounding
>>> topologies, other more consensus-like topics came up (things which
>>> zookeeper/curator would cover nicely). The question here is though if
>>>that
>>> fits into the discovery api itself or if that's not something completely
>>> different and out-of-scope of discovery.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Cheers,

--
Sent from my (old) computer

Re: [Discovery] missing features and 3rd party implementation of discovery.api

Posted by Stefan Egli <eg...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.