Posted to user@ranger.apache.org by Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net> on 2016/09/06 08:31:16 UTC

User running job in forbidden queue

Hi all,

I'm back on the Hadoop & Multi-tenancy topic and as I ran some tests I
quite a big issue.
Using Ranger to handle which user can submit job to which queue I
authorized user "test" to submit jobs on queue "test" only - with the
property ranger.add-yarn-authorization set to false in ranger-yarn-security.
But even with these settings when user "test" submit a job it goes in the
"default" queue - to which he shouldn't be able to submit jobs.

Do you see what I miss here ?
If not, do anyone knows how to turn on YARN Ranger plugin debug logs ?

Thanks in advance for your inputs,

Loïc

Loïc CHANEL
System Big Data engineer
MS&T - WASABI - Worldline (Villeurbanne, France)

Re: Antwort: Re: User running job in forbidden queue

Posted by Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net>.
Markus,

In addition to Bosco's information, I highly recommend you the following
link :
https://github.com/abajwa-hw/security-workshops/blob/master/Setup-ranger-23.md
It is quite helpful to have a precise idea of how to secure a Hadoop
cluster and the author seems to keep it up to date -- it evolved a lot
since last year when I was working on the topic. Hope this will help you as
much as it helps me.

Regards,

From: Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net>
Date: Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 8:51 AM
To: <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: User running job in forbidden queue

Posted by Ma...@fiduciagad.de.
Hi Bosco,

is there a guide or a best practice document for multi-tenancy ?  Can I
really separate different use cases on the same cluster without any
security doubts?

Best regards,

Markus

Fiducia & GAD IT AG | www.fiduciagad.de
AG Frankfurt a. M. HRB 102381 | Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hahnstr. 48, 60528
Frankfurt a. M. | USt-IdNr. DE 143582320
Vorstand: Klaus-Peter Bruns (Vorsitzender), Claus-Dieter Toben (stv.
Vorsitzender),
Jens-Olaf Bartels, Martin Beyer, Jörg Dreinhöfer, Wolfgang Eckert, Carsten
Pfläging, Jörg Staff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Jürgen Brinkmann

Von:	Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>
An:	<us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>
Datum:	06.09.2016 18:41
Betreff:	Re: User running job in forbidden queue

From: Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net>
Date: Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 8:51 AM
To: <us...@ranger.incubator.apache.org>

Posted by Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net>.
That's exactly what I was thinking, that's why I couldn't see any
improvement of the feature but only a slight upgrade of the user's brain ;-)
Still, the validation option sounds like a good idea.

Regards,

Loïcc

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.
Hi Loïc

Posted by Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net>.
I will dig into that option, as it sounds what I missed. Thank you Ramesh.

Posted by Ramesh Mani <rm...@hortonworks.com>.
Loïc,

Posted by Loïc Chanel <lo...@telecomnancy.net>.
Bosco,