Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Brent Clark <br...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/04 11:56:08 UTC

[users@httpd] SSL redirect ?

Hiya

I got an interesting request from a client and I was hoping to bounce
this off you guys.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need my linux server to accept incoming connections on port 8080 and
forward them to an HTTPS address and do all communications.

So, if a developer connects to, and uses

https://abc.com/v4/transaction?wsdl

it should redirect, communicate, and return data from

https://trans.api.hidden.com/v4/transaction?wsdl

Basically, I need to mask the trans.api.hidden.com and make all
communications deal with abc.co.za.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the same server.

Personally I cant see this is possible, cause of the it been SSL. I
would assume this activity as no different as a MITM attack.
But googling, says I should look at mod_proxy. Is this possible?

What do you guys think. If someone could help. It would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Brent Clark

Re: [users@httpd] SSL redirect ?

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Brent Clark <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hiya
>
> I got an interesting request from a client and I was hoping to bounce this
> off you guys.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> I need my linux server to accept incoming connections on port 8080 and
> forward them to an HTTPS address and do all communications.
>
> So, if a developer connects to, and uses
>
> https://abc.com/v4/transaction?wsdl
>
> it should redirect, communicate, and return data from
>
> https://trans.api.hidden.com/v4/transaction?wsdl
>
> Basically, I need to mask the trans.api.hidden.com and make all
> communications deal with abc.co.za.
>
> This is the same server.
>
> Personally I cant see this is possible, cause of the it been SSL. I would
> assume this activity as no different as a MITM attack.
> But googling, says I should look at mod_proxy. Is this possible?
>
> What do you guys think. If someone could help. It would be appreciated.
>
> Kind Regards
> Brent Clark

If your client connects to https://abc.com/ , then that is where SSL
will be terminated for the client. If you then proxy that connection
to https://trans.api.hidden.com/ , then that will be a separate SSL
connection between two apache servers, it will not carry any client
certificates that the client initially presented to https://abc.com .

wrt to your later question, apache is more than capable of proxying to
itself. I'm not sure you would need the overhead of an SSL connection
on a request that would never go on the wire.

Cheers

Tom

Re: [users@httpd] SSL redirect ?

Posted by Brent Clark <br...@gmail.com>.
On 04/11/2010 18:25, Joost de Heer wrote:

> Yes, you need ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse and SSLProxyEngine.
>
> Joost

And for the idiot and curiosity in me. I take it this is not possible on
separate machines?

Thanks for replying.

Brent

Re: [users@httpd] SSL redirect ?