Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Quint Van Deman <Qu...@S1.com> on 2003/11/11 19:57:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Precise cause for error

Hi all--

Can anyone explain the situations under with this error might be generated
by mod_proxy:

[Tue Nov 11 10:34:17 2003] [warn] proxy: THIS IS THE PROBLEM ERROR :
Ignoring du
plicate HTTP status line returned by buggy server /3.5/cgi-bin/hb.exe (POST)

I know the application is doing something strange, I'd just like to be able
to point the developer in the right direction.
If nothing else, does anyone have any suggestions on how to narrow in on the
problem?

Basic environment specs:
Reverse Proxy - Apache 1.3.27/Redhat 7.2
Backend application - miserable CGI/IIS/NT4

Thanks,

Quint

Re: [users@httpd] Precise cause for error

Posted by Richard Gration <ri...@zync.co.uk>.
On Tuesday 11 November 2003 19:03, Nikolaus Schmitt wrote:
> Hi Quint,
>
> configure apache to dump any requests and responses including the headers
> into one file (see section Logging in the manuals). Alternatively, you can
> use a network tracer such as *** etherreal *** to fetch all communication
traffic
> between the apache proxy front and the backend systems.

*** my emphasis. yes yes YES!! Ethereal is second only to linux as a
development tool :-))

Rick

Re: [users@httpd] Precise cause for error

Posted by Nikolaus Schmitt <n....@scaet.de>.
Hi Quint,

configure apache to dump any requests and responses including the headers
into one file (see section Logging in the manuals). Alternatively, you can
use a network tracer such as etherreal to fetch all communication traffic
between the apache proxy front and the backend systems. The trace will help
to make buggy / abnormal responses transparent to both admins and
developers. Most times it seems to be faster for me to make a trace, than to
sort out thousands of log lines from different systems.

A cgi programm that sometimes sends a duplicate HTTP status (= header)
>>>might<<< suffer from race conditions within the code.

Regards
Niko

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:57:51 -0500, Quint Van Deman wrote:

> Can anyone explain the situations under with this error might be
> generated by mod_proxy:

Can you connect directly to the server in question without going
through the proxy?

If so, maybe you can use Mozilla(/Firebird) with Live HTTP Headers
(easier than traceing or watching log files) to check exactly what
headers the server sends, wich might give a clue.

Regards
/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists@frukt.org