Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Trei, Roberta L" <Ro...@ca.com> on 2010/12/14 22:15:35 UTC

How to debug service crashes

Re: Daemon
>> The phrase "This is deceased code in our attic" refers to the Apache
>> Directory bootstrap code, not to Commons Daemon.
>>

>Yes this is absolutely true. Sorry I did not want to create any confusion
>here.
> Alex Karasulu

I'm sure the confusion was mine, and I appreciate it being cleared up.

I would very much like to continue with my attempts to use the Apache Commons Daemon as a wrapper to Jetty 7.2.0.... but I am still blocked with finding out what is going on when I start the service. It is returning right away, so it is most likely an exception, but I can't get any useful debug information.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to proceed?

Here is how I have defined the service:
prunsrv //IS//jetty-7.2.0 --DisplayName="Jetty 7.2.0" --Jvm=auto --StartMode=java --StopMode=java --StartClass=c:\nq\Portal\jetty-7.2.0\start.jar -StopClass=c:\nq\Portal\jetty-7.2.0\start.jar

I will appreciate any feedback, as this area is new to me.

Regards,

Robin Trei
CA
Director, Development
Infrastructure Management
Tel: 508-628-8498
Con Call: 866-376-6162  974-3156-383
email: Roberta.Trei@ca.com

RE: How to debug service crashes

Posted by "Trei, Roberta L" <Ro...@ca.com>.
>You either need to add its installation directory to the path, or run
>it from the installation directory.

I had been running it from the install directory, but it did need to be
added to the path. Thank you!  I would not have thought of this.

Robin Trei
CA

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 15 December 2010 13:25, Trei, Roberta L <Ro...@ca.com> wrote:
>> Use prunmgr //ES//jetty-7.2.0 to set up logging
>
> Prunmgr //ES/jetty-7.2.0 returns an error
>  'prunmgr does not exist as an installed service'.  (The same error
> message is returned for all the directives.)  I have modified prunmgr to
> run as administrator, and also tried setting compatibility mode on it.
> I saw no special install instructions for this utility, and the download
> said prunmgr would work for both 32 and 64 bits.
>
> Is there something I missed?

prunmgr is not a service, it is a stand-alone utility.

Posted by "Trei, Roberta L" <Ro...@ca.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 14 December 2010 21:15, Trei, Roberta L <Ro...@ca.com> wrote:
> Re: Daemon
>>> The phrase "This is deceased code in our attic" refers to the Apache
>>> Directory bootstrap code, not to Commons Daemon.
>>>

>>Yes this is absolutely true. Sorry I did not want to create any confusion
>>here.
>> Alex Karasulu
>
> I'm sure the confusion was mine, and I appreciate it being cleared up.
>
> I would very much like to continue with my attempts to use the Apache Commons Daemon as a wrapper to Jetty 7.2.0.... but I am still blocked with finding out what is going on when I start the service. It is returning right away, so it is most likely an exception, but I can't get any useful debug information.  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to proceed?
>
> Here is how I have defined the service:
> prunsrv //IS//jetty-7.2.0 --DisplayName="Jetty 7.2.0" --Jvm=auto --StartMode=java --StopMode=java --StartClass=c:\nq\Portal\jetty-7.2.0\start.jar -StopClass=c:\nq\Portal\jetty-7.2.0\start.jar

Should be --StopClass, not -StopClass