Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2007/05/21 18:27:05 UTC

Java SCA - Including fix numbers in release docs

This time round, as so much had changed, we didn't include JIRA numbers in
the release docs. It seems like a good thing to do in the future though. If
everyone agrees that this is a good thing we need to be fairly organized
about how we use JIRA otherwise we suffer a lot of pain come release time
working out what the list should look like.

So, from the IRC today, it has been suggested that we take care to note what
release a fix targets using the protocol that the release is "Java-SCA-Next"
until we get to release time and decide what the release number is. At that
point we switch over all the fixes that make the release to the right
number.

This may well have been the intention all along as I note that the
"Java-SCA-Next category has a lot of fixes in it. I'll take a look through
it and see if I can work out what the state of play is so we can start
filling it up again.

Anything else we should be doing with respect to JIRA to make the release
process easier?

Simon

Re: Java SCA - Including fix numbers in release docs

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
OK, I agree. I note that SDO already does this. Any more thoughts about
things we can do to improve the way we can all work in this area? What else
do SDO, DAS do that SCA needs to do? Maybe we can come up with a checklist
for the build and release up on the developer guide section of the web site.
I know Kelvin started collecting this information for SDO but can't lay my
finger on it directly.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Haleh, we should try to have consistence on areas common to all
Tuscany sub-projects, JIRA, Distributions, Release Process, etc

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer

Re: Java SCA - Including fix numbers in release docs

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
+1 XXX-Next

I don't mind who assigns JIRA to the release number. It can't be done though
until we know that the release number will be (was quite late in the last
cycle). Hopefully we will do more frequent releases from now so there will
be few JIRAs in the XXX-Next box and more with the actual release tag.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Just adding a little caveat here, that, only Resolved jiras can be
bulk updated later on (when a release is approaching), jiras on the
closed as fixed state need to be reopened in order to get edited. If
we are going to use bulk updates, we should make everybody resolve the
jiras, instead of closing them.

PS.: If someone knows a way to bulk edit a closed jira, please let me know.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Yes +1 to XXX-Next.

I really don't like making unnecessary 'rules' or policy or trying to
restrict or control who can do something. If we can't find a less relaxed

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@thegoodsons.org.uk>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.