Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Rice, Joe" <Jo...@solers.com> on 2003/11/26 21:19:10 UTC

Jakarta Questions

I'm doing a school project on Jakarta and it's Open Source process.  I've
read everything that I could find online and still had a few questions:

1. The PMC bylaws say that there are only 7 PMC members.  But the credits
page lists 38 people for the PMC?

2. What is used to determine when a release is ready?  When outstanding bugs
in Bugzilla are resolved?  Or is there another driver?

Thanks,

Joe Rice

Re: Jakarta Questions

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Quoting "Rice, Joe" <Jo...@solers.com>:

> I'm doing a school project on Jakarta and it's Open Source process.  I've
> read everything that I could find online and still had a few questions:

<snip/>

> 2. What is used to determine when a release is ready?  When outstanding bugs
> in Bugzilla are resolved?  Or is there another driver?

Avalon, which used to be in Jakarta, has a list of links and documents related
to the process of release management:

http://avalon.apache.org/community/process/release.html

As Henri said, the decision to release is made by the project community itself.
 Each community may have slightly different standards.  The most common response
will probably be something along the lines of 'it feels right'.

---
  jaaron      <http://jadetower.org>

Re: Jakarta Questions

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Rice, Joe wrote:

> I'm doing a school project on Jakarta and it's Open Source process.  I've
> read everything that I could find online and still had a few questions:
>
> 1. The PMC bylaws say that there are only 7 PMC members.  But the credits
> page lists 38 people for the PMC?

The 7 is out of date now. We're actively enlarging the PMC to cover all
active Jakarta committers.

I'll make sure the need to update
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/management.html is an issue raised to the
PMC.

> 2. What is used to determine when a release is ready?  When outstanding bugs
> in Bugzilla are resolved?  Or is there another driver?

When the community decides that a release should be done. [So you're going
to get lots of answers here]

That's the driving thing at Apache, the community. If the community choose
to release a jdk1.5 only beta, then they can do so.

If they choose to do so, and for some reason the PMC has a reason to
disagree, then the PMC might get involved. Like, maybe the release does
not fit with other parts of the Apache Way, or there are legality worries.

[apache way is on: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mission.html, though
that list does seem to miss the important one of community]

Hen