Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com> on 2008/07/04 00:46:05 UTC

Receivers artifacts and Chainsaw

One of the last tasks to complete before a potential 'release' to the
Webstart version of Chainsaw is building a custom Receiver artifact
output that does not include the JMSReceiver & DBReceiver, both of
which require dependent jars that we obviously can't ship (because we
don't know what provider they'll need).

I plan to add a new output artifact in log4j-receivers that contains
this, and have it with a classifier of 'chainsaw-receivers', and have
it attached via buildhelper plugin so that it is pushed out as an
artifact. A similar approach would be to produce an artifact just
containing JMS+DB receivers.  There would still be a 'non-classified'
binary containing all Receivers as standard.

That way Chainsaw can mark a dependency on it's relevant classifier.
This would mean that both the Webstart and standalone versions of
Chainsaw would require an end-user who wished to use JMSReceiver or
DBReceiver could download the 'extras' pack of Receivers, and drop it
into the plugins folder together with their provider jars.

thoughts?

Paul

Re: Receivers artifacts and Chainsaw

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Why can't the old version of Chainsaw simply be re-packaged into a separate
jar?  I think lots of people would be happy to have a smaller log4j artifact
to deploy and those that want to use chainsaw version 1 simply add another jar
to their classpath.  This has nothing to do whether we deprecate the classes
or not, though I'm not against doing that either.  It's just a repackaging.

Jake

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com>.

--
  THorbjørn

Re: Receivers artifacts and Chainsaw

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

Posted by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com>.
Paul Smith skrev  den 04-07-2008 00:46:
> One of the last tasks to complete before a potential 'release' to the
> Webstart version of Chainsaw is building a custom Receiver artifact
> output that does not include the JMSReceiver & DBReceiver, both of
> which require dependent jars that we obviously can't ship (because we
> don't know what provider they'll need).
>
> I plan to add a new output artifact in log4j-receivers that contains
> this, and have it with a classifier of 'chainsaw-receivers', and have
> it attached via buildhelper plugin so that it is pushed out as an
> artifact. A similar approach would be to produce an artifact just
> containing JMS+DB receivers.  There would still be a 'non-classified'
> binary containing all Receivers as standard.
>
> That way Chainsaw can mark a dependency on it's relevant classifier.
> This would mean that both the Webstart and standalone versions of
> Chainsaw would require an end-user who wished to use JMSReceiver or
> DBReceiver could download the 'extras' pack of Receivers, and drop it
> into the plugins folder together with their provider jars.

I think that there should be a core log4j which should cover those
classes described in the printed manual, and that all the other stuff
which has come up since then should go in one or more "extras" packages
which may have a different release cycle than the core.

The reason is the simple that log4j-core for 1.2 is mature code which
should get few updates, where the auxillary libraries appears still to
be rough here and there, so I think it would be beneficial to have two
seperate release tracks.

--
  Thorbjørn

Re: Receivers artifacts and Chainsaw

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Jul 3, 2008, at 6:06 PM, Scott Deboy wrote:

> log4j-receivers-3rdpartydeps?
>
> pretty hokey but a bit more accurate

The first thing that makes me think of is the third party licensing
policy (http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html) and suggests use of
code that is not under the ASL.  I'm not sure if we want to suggest a
connection.

I'm guessing on this, so correct me if I'm wrong.  Are we talking
about receivers that are compiled against an abstract API (along the
lines of JAXP or JDBC) but depends the availability of a concrete
implementation to work and where the abstract API is compatible with
the ASL but the concrete implementation may be an incompatible
license?  Or is it something different?  Want to lay out specifics
(API's and their license, implementations and their licenses)?

What about making apache-log4j-receivers a multi-artifact project, so
you'd have apache-log4j-receivers.jar, apache-log4j-receivers-db.jar
and apache-log4j-receivers-jms.jar?

This scenario seems to be what OSGi (see http://felix.apache.org) was
designed to support where components could use their manifest to
declare what services they require and the framework figures out what
should be loaded.  Unfortunately, I've never had time to ramp up on it.

RE: Receivers artifacts and Chainsaw

Posted by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com>.

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.