Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by si...@insession.com on 2005/10/24 06:13:54 UTC

Comments regarding Geronimo on HOWL project page http://howl.objectweb.org/

The HOWL project page says:

    The  Apache Geronimo  project has plans to integrate JOTM, and has
integrated the HOWL logger with an interim transaction manager that is
being used until JOTM recovery functionality is available.

Have plans changed? If so, we should ask that this be updated to reflect
reality so people are not mislead.

Comments?

Thanks,

John

Re: Comments regarding Geronimo on HOWL project page http://howl.objectweb.org/

Posted by John Sisson <js...@apache.org>.
Anyone?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 26, 2005, at 9:57 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> On 10/23/05, sissonj@insession.com <si...@insession.com> wrote:
>>
>> The HOWL project page says:
>>
>>     The  Apache Geronimo  project has plans to integrate JOTM, and has
>> integrated the HOWL logger with an interim transaction manager that
>> is being
>> used until JOTM recovery functionality is available.
>>
>> Have plans changed? If so, we should ask that this be updated to
>> reflect
>> reality so people are not mislead.
>
> FWIW, I have an interest in getting JOTM integrated. Upon inquiring
> about this with David Jencks, he indicated that the Geronimo tx
> manager is pretty tightly integrated with the connector module. I have
> no idea what it will take to extricate the two as I haven't been able
> to make the time lately to look into this task. Do you have an
> interest in JOTM integration with Geronimo, John?

I believe integrating JOTM will require a lot of discussion with the
JOTM guys, and so far I haven't managed to corner them in person at
conferences.

I haven't looked at JOTM in quite a while but doubt this aspect has
changed much.

The basic problem is that there is no defined interface between the
transaction manager and the connector module.  Something has to keep
track of which managed connections are associated with which
transactions.  We do this primarily in the connector module whereas
IIUC JOTM does this right in JOTM.  I think this is kind of an
architectural mistake, but haven't had a chance to get together and
discuss it in detail.

I'll certainly be free with my opinions if anyone wants to look into
this further :-)

thanks
david jencks

Re: Comments regarding Geronimo on HOWL project page http://howl.objectweb.org/

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 10/23/05, sissonj@insession.com <si...@insession.com> wrote:

> The HOWL project page says:
>
>     The  Apache Geronimo  project has plans to integrate JOTM, and has
> integrated the HOWL logger with an interim transaction manager that is being
> used until JOTM recovery functionality is available.
>
> Have plans changed? If so, we should ask that this be updated to reflect
> reality so people are not mislead.

FWIW, I have an interest in getting JOTM integrated. Upon inquiring
about this with David Jencks, he indicated that the Geronimo tx
manager is pretty tightly integrated with the connector module. I have
no idea what it will take to extricate the two as I haven't been able
to make the time lately to look into this task. Do you have an
interest in JOTM integration with Geronimo, John?

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/