Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Allison, Bob" <ro...@qwest.com> on 2005/10/03 23:53:35 UTC

Plugin Execution Question

I am starting to look into building a plugin which will allow mock
objects (and other classes which are used for testing projects which use
the current project) to be built and packaged.  I am looking at making a
tree called "src/usagetest" which mirrors "src/main" and "src/test" in
structure and usage.

The first step is to get the classes compiled.  I was looking at
building a mojo for the compiler plugin like TestCompilerMojo (probably
called UsageTestCompilerMojo) since it seems like the easiest way to get
to the compiler.  My first problem is how do I trigger the new mojo to
run.  I have been looking at the TestCompilerMojo and the surefire
plugin and I have not been able to determine what actually causes the
test classes to be compiled.

The second step is to get the classes and resources packaged.  I was
looking at building a mojo for the jar plugin like TestJarMojo (probably
called UsageTestJarMojo).  I am thinking that I can cause this to be
executed in a manner like done in it0077 to execute the TestJarMojo.

Does anybody have any pointers or suggestions you can throw my way?  I
am open to any suggestions on different ways to make this happen, since
right now I am grasping at straws to figure out how to make this work.
I can also try to keep track of what I am doing to make a first cut at
the Plugin Development Guide.

Re: Plugin Execution Question

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
On 10/4/05, Allison, Bob <ro...@qwest.com> wrote:
> I am starting to look into building a plugin which will allow mock
> objects (and other classes which are used for testing projects which use
> the current project) to be built and packaged.

I thnk John Fallows is already working on this - you might like to
collaborate here.

> My first problem is how do I trigger the new mojo to
> run.  I have been looking at the TestCompilerMojo and the surefire
> plugin and I have not been able to determine what actually causes the
> test classes to be compiled.

See the "build lifecycle" document on the web site.

> The second step is to get the classes and resources packaged.  I was
> looking at building a mojo for the jar plugin like TestJarMojo (probably
> called UsageTestJarMojo).  I am thinking that I can cause this to be
> executed in a manner like done in it0077 to execute the TestJarMojo.

Sounds correct.

> I can also try to keep track of what I am doing to make a first cut at
> the Plugin Development Guide.

Thanks!

- Brett