Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2013/04/03 06:14:46 UTC

Re: JUnit4 requirement

On 2013-03-30, Michael Clarke wrote:

> https://github.com/mc1arke/ant/commit/63251494ed70b7694305e43c9cc37879ca3bd5adfixes
> this, providing CustomJUnit4AdapterCache is moved into the ant-junit4
> JAR. I can make a further commit to reverse the removal of the JUnit4 JAR
> and add the CustomJUnit4AdapterCache to the JAR then bundle it up into a
> patch if wanted?

I don't really have an opinion myself whether we still want to support
JUnit 3.x or not.  Nobody else either?

We could poll the users list but would likely get the usual mixed bag of
"go ahead, JUnit 4 has been available for X years" and "we cannot
upgrade for political reasons, JUnit 3 support is essential for us".

Given Ant 1.9.0 likely doesn't work with JUnit 3 we may wait a bit and
consider the lack of bug reports a sign that JUnit 3 compatibility isn't
needed anymore.

Stefan

Re: JUnit4 requirement

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2013-04-03, Jesse Glick wrote:

> On 04/03/2013 12:14 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> I don't really have an opinion myself whether we still want to
>> support JUnit 3.x or not.

> To be clear, we absolutely need to support 3.x *tests*.

In that case I'd be in favor of reverting my commit and making sure
Ant's ant-junit.jar is buildable without JUnit 4.x.

Stefan

Re: JUnit4 requirement

Posted by Jesse Glick <jg...@cloudbees.com>.
On 04/03/2013 12:14 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> I don't really have an opinion myself whether we still want to support JUnit 3.x or not.

To be clear, we absolutely need to support 3.x *tests*. The question is whether we want to mandate that junit-4.*.jar be in the test classpath even for projects using
only JUnit 3.x features. I do not think this is an unreasonable concession to progress, but it will break some builds.