Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "C. Grobmeier" <gr...@possessed.de> on 2006/04/30 13:44:34 UTC

[compress] New draft 5

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Posted by "C. Grobmeier" <gr...@possessed.de>.

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 4/30/06, C. Grobmeier <gr...@possessed.de> wrote:

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Posted by "C. Grobmeier" <gr...@possessed.de>.

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good, I'll look at the code tonight (hopefully) and comment; in
the meantime, let's go ahead and get a software grant moving for the
code.

If you could fill out the software grant:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/#grants

and either fax or postal-mail it (see instructions in first paragraph
of "http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt").

It's better to get the code in early and then have comments be patches
than continually keep sending you back to the drawing board I think.

Hen

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Posted by will pugh <wi...@sourcelabs.com>.
It occured to me later on, that I think this interface would be better
if it were focused on describing an Archive, rather than trying to
describe two processes (ie describing the noun rather than all the
verbs).  The fall out from this, is that you don't have a member for an
unpack directory, since that is only relevent to the unpacking process.
and I think it makes the interface I went to mock this up and came up
with a couple other issues with the interface.

  1)  Adding an entry or a file to an archive, you need to be able to
set the entry name, otherwise you can run into problems with getting
just the right relative path in the archive for the files.
  2)  It is pretty common to want to recursively add directories, we
should provide this in the archive API

I've attached my mock-up so folks can see if they think these thoughts
make sense.  I tried to borrow design and parameter conventions from
some of the commons-io methods I use alot.

    --Will

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Posted by will pugh <wi...@sourcelabs.com>.
I'm not sure if there is some requirement I'm missing, but

1)  It still seems strange to me that we have an interface that does two
things:  pack an archive + unpack an archive, yet it has 16 methods on it.
    Of these, 9 seem to be some variation of property getters/setters.
As far as I can tell, none of these properties are used by both the pack
and unpack process.

Methods that set/get properties only used

1)  Why do we need getters and setters that take both a File and a
String as parameters?  Why can't we standardize on just having a File
type for sourceFile and unpackDestination.

2)  I'm still not sure why unpackDestination is a property and not just
a parameter on unpack?  It seems that it is a property that is used in
one and only one place.  It seems like logically its not a property of
the Archiver as much as a property of the actual packing process.

3)  Why don't we have a constructor for each of the archivers that can
take a String or a File as the SourceFile (similar to how java.io.File,
java.util.zip.ZipFile, etc deal with this).  If you didn't want to
enforce this as a convention for Archivers, it could easily be added
into the ArchiverType.getInstance() method.  We could have ArchiverType
provide two getInstance methods, one could take a string and one could
take a file.  This way the interface can be minimal, and we can hoist
type conversions off to helpers rather than the interface

4)  What is the purpose of the ArchiverType?  I'm assuming this is meant
to help people build their own factories?  but the common case for
creating an Archiver is still to create using 'new'.  Is this right?

    --Will

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Posted by will pugh <wi...@sourcelabs.com>.
I may be missing some requirements here, but it seems like in light of
the JavaBean bits we were talking about, that it makes sense to restrict
the properties on the actual interface, and have them correspond
directly to JavaBean properties.  In addition, I would propose getting
rid of some properties and moving them onto the method calls.  Is there
a reason not to?

For an interface that basically does two things, it is suprising that it
has 16 methods on it.  Of those, 9 appear to be getter/setters on
properties.  Those 9 getters/setters refer to 3 properties in
AbstractArchiver.  Of those 3 properties, only 1 is used by more than
one method (that is not a getter/setter).  Why do we have
destinationFile and unpackDestination properties on the object, if they
are only used in one place?  Why not just make these parameters? If you
did this, you would have an interface that offers the exact same
functionality, but has only 6 methods.  Seems like there is a bit of
extra entropy.

In addition, I sorta like the  way java.io.File, java.util.zip.ZipFile,
etc let you set the source file in the constructor.  It makes the code
using the objects less verbose, with no loss of readability.  I would
suggest that we add this to the archivers, by adding constructors that
can take a string or a file for the source file.  In addition, we can
bubble those changes up to the ArchiverType class.

What is the purpose of the ArchiverType class?  I'm assuming the idea is
that this helps folks build factories, but that it is perfectly
acceptable and encouraged to create any of the archivers via 'new'.  Is
that correct?

       Thanks,
       --Will

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Posted by Sandy McArthur <sa...@apache.org>.

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Posted by will pugh <wi...@sourcelabs.com>.
Sandy McArthur wrote:

> [...]

>> and should default to FalseFileFilter.INSTANCE.  For the Compresser
>> interface a simple boolean is probably sufficient.  e.g.
>>
>>     Archiver.setOverwriteFilter(TrueFileFilter.INSTANCE)
>>     Compresser.setOverwrite(true);
>

> I'll disagree that this should be configurable. IMO it should just do
> whatever FileOutputStream or whatever is used does. It's the calling
> code's responsibility to handle any name collisions.

How can the calling code handle name collisions?  It takes significantly
more work for it to walk through all the entries in the archive and then
walking through all the files in the file ssytem.  Are you suggesting a
caller should only unpack into an empty directory?

I'm not really sure I understand what your saying about
FileOutputStream.  The apis for the Archiver don't allow you to set an
OutputStream, and it's not really applicable to upack (which is writing

FileOutputStream allows you to set a boolean for whether the stream
should overwrite or append.  This is made more difficult in the unpack
scenario where there are more than one file.  From personal experience,
I liked the solution used in FileUtils.iterateFiles and
FileUtils.listFiles for doing yeah/nay on a recursive operation like this.

    Cheers,
    --Will

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Posted by "C. Grobmeier" <gr...@possessed.de>.

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 5/2/06, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:
> Sorry, joining the party so late ...but this thread let me to actually
> have a look ;)
>
> So my comments:
>
> o Don't like that compressor does both compression and decompression.

I'm ambivalent on this one.

> o Always use File not String

+1. Only use 'String filename' when you're doing something to a
filename - otherwise we bloat the APIs for the sake of a new
File(xxx). It's not worth it.

Also, the setXxx stuff seems a bit unnecessary.

For the interface, minimal and stateless seem like important goals.
Having setXxx just means that the implementors have to worry about
thread safety.

Hen

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
Sorry, joining the party so late ...but this thread let me to actually
have a look ;)

So my comments:

o Don't like that compressor does both compression and decompression.
o Always use File not String
o Please parameter overloading ...this method naming scheme makes
   the API really ugly

But to be a bit more constructive... I would think more of something like:

Compressor compressor = CompressorFactory.newInstance(new File("file.bz2"));
Compressor compressor = CompressorFactory.newInstance("bzip2");
Compressor compressor = new Bzip2Compressor();
Compressor compressor = Bzip2Compressor.getInstance();
File output = compressor.compress(new File("input"));
File output = compressor.compress(new FileInputStream("input"));
InputStream in = compressor.compressStream(new File("input"))
InputStream in = compressor.compressStream(new FileInputStream("input"))
compressor.compressTo(new File("input"), new File("output"));
compressor.compressTo(new FileInputStream("input"), new
FileOutputStream("output"));

Decompressor decompressor = DecompressorFactory.newInstance("bzip2");
File output = decompressor.decompress(new File("input"))
File output = decompressor.decompress(new FileInputStream("input"));
InputStream in = decompressor.decompressStream(new File("input"))
InputStream in = decompressor.decompressStream(new FileInputStream("input"))
decompressor.decompressTo(new File("input"), new File("output"));
decompressor.decompressTo(new FileInputStream("input"), new
FileOutputStream("output"));

Archive arch = new TarArchive(new File("my.tar"));
Archive arch = ArchiveFactory.newInstance(new File("my.tar");
arch.add(new File("input"));
arch.add(new FileInputStream("input"));
arch.delete("path");
arch.save();
arch.save(new File("output"));
arch.save(new FileOutputStream("out"));
for(Iterator it = arch.iterator(); it.hasNext(); it) {
  ArchiveEntry entry = (ArchiveEntry) it.next();
}
ArchiveEntry entry = arch.getEntry("path");
entry.extract(new File("output"));
entry.extract(new FileOutputStream("output"));
entry.delete();

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
On 5/1/06, Sandy McArthur <sa...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 4/30/06, will pugh <wi...@sourcelabs.com> wrote:
> > 1)  You often change method names based on the parameter types, e.g.
> > Archiver.addFile + Archiver.addFileName, setUnpackDestinationName +
> > setUnpackDestinationFile, etc.  It seems more conventional  and less
> > chaotic to give all the methods the same name, and have them only differ
> > based on parameter.  Examples of this style are constructors for
> > java.utils.zip.ZipFile, java.io.FileInputStream,
> > java.io.FileOutputStream, org.apache.commons.io.IOUtils.IOUtils.copy,
> > org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.isFileNewer, etc
>
> This is intentional, in a previous version the method names were the
> same. The problem with using the same name but different param types
> breaks the JavaBean property getter/setter rules and the classes will
> not be as usable in at least some scripting environments.

I am sorry ...whoever wants to use this API from a JavaBean
can easily write a little wrapper class. I rather have a slick API
design than adhering to the JavaBean interface.

My 2 cents

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Posted by Sandy McArthur <sa...@apache.org>.

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Posted by "C. Grobmeier" <gr...@possessed.de>.

Re: [compress] New draft 5

Posted by Sandy McArthur <sa...@apache.org>.
On 4/30/06, C. Grobmeier <gr...@possessed.de> wrote:
> here is a new draft for the compress interface:
>
> * http://grobmeier.de/commons-compress-draft-5.zip

Same as before, suggestions as a stream of consciousness, take the
ones you like:

package org.apache.commons.compress:

In Archiver:
Why do pack() and packToFilename(String) both return a boolean and
throws a PackException? The Javadocs state "@return true, if the
operation has been ended without exceptions". IMO the return type
isn't meaningful as if there was an exception that would be thrown,
and a return of false would never actually happen. When is it
meaningful to swallow an exception and still return false?

Does the Archiver ever unpack to a file or only a directory? In Java a
directory is represented as a File but I think it would be nice if the
Javadocs made that clear for getUnpackDestination(),
setUnpackDestinationName(String), and setUnpackDestinationFile(File).
And maybe those setters should throw an exception when the parameter
isn't a directory.

I don't really like that the Archiver interface combines both both
pack and unpack and there are difference sets of  properties for each
operation. In my mind you have the concept of an Archive and then you
ask for another implementation of "Exploder" and "Packer" interfaces.
Each one only does one thing and the Archiver can choose to make both
types available, only make one type available, support both types but
throw an exception when the second type is requested to enforce one
activity at a time.

In Compressor:
I don't see a need to expose that a FileInputStream is being used
internally. Someday you may want to implement an optimization that
decompresses small files totally in memory. Change:
FileInputStream streamCompressedInputStream(FileInputStream input),
FileInputStream streamCompressedFilename(String pathToFile), and
FileInputStream streamCompressedFile(File input) to return an
InputStream instead.

I also don't like that Compressor mixes compress and decompress
specific behaviors in one interface but its not so bad because there
are not properties that go with a behavior. All relevant information
is included in the method call parameters which is good.

In ArchiverType:
public static ArchiverType ZIP = ...; and public static ArchiverType
TAR = ....; should both be final.

In AbstractCompressor:
The copy( final InputStream input, final OutputStream output ) method,
while useful, doesn't really belong in AbstractCompressor. It's just a
utility method that an implementation may need. IMO it doesn't warrant
being part of the exposed API. It's nice to aid in code reuse but I
don't think it should happen as the expense of sticking to one
purpose.

Since Java 1.2 the File class has had createTempFile methods which
makes the ones in AbstractCompressor unneeded and, while unlikely, it
is possible that createTempFileName() could return the same name in
two successive calls which would be bad.

In CompressorType:
public static CompressorType BZIP2 = ... ; also, final.

For both of ArchiveType and CompressorType add a valueOf(String)
method. This is what Java 1.5 Enums have and it lets you convert a
String, say from a config file, into an Enum. To do this right you'll
need to keep track of other Types with a Map or something in the
constructor.

In CompressException, DecompressException, PackException, and UnpackException:
The constructors that takes (String, Exception) call
this.setStackTrace( e.getStackTrace() ); If Java 1.4 is a minimum
requirement than loose that as it's misleading and use the initCause
method to do exception chaining.

packages org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.tar, and
org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.zip:

These packages have a minimally exposed API and I like that. This will
help make future improvements easier to implement.

package org.apache.commons.compress.compressors.bzip2:

Same comments as before about the Bzip2{In,Out}Streams which you have
in the TODO.txt file.

> This draft is not perfect, as you can see in the todo list. But imho we
> have a quite good base for future work, everything compiles and works
> and is documented. So i would like to propose that someone is comitting
> this, except you have reasons not to do this.
> If you agree with me, i will open a bugzilla issue and add the link to
> the code.

I feel like the public interface was noticeably more usable and has
less noise. IMO it's not yet a great API but it's a very decent one.

--
Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine