Posted to dev@libcloud.apache.org by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org> on 2021/08/15 08:44:51 UTC

[dev] [NOTICE] - Moving and Upgrading of Buildbot Jobs

Hi All.

This NOTICE goes out via BCC to all affected projects and to the
main builds@apache.org mailing list.
Please have replies CC the builds list.

https://ci.apache.org is currently on version 0.8 and is to be turned off
soon.
https://ci2.apache.org is version 3.2 and is the direct replacement.

If you project has Buildbot jobs they are listed here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Buildbot+0.8+-%3E+3.2+Migration

Infra will perform the migration for you over the next 2 weeks. Starting
Monday.

Your $project.conf code will be updated to be compatible with Buildbot 3.2
(from 0.8)

Unless you state otherwise - your config will be moved to a new SVN [1] or
GIT [2] area
depending on whether you primarily use SVN or GIT.

[1] - https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot2
[2] - https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-bb2

An INFRA ticket will be created for each project migration and your dev
list will be kept in the loop.

For those of you with nightly builds that use ci.apache.org/projects/* -
please note that this service is deprecated and will NOT be available going
forward. Instead, your jobs should be changed to upload to
https://nightlies.apache.org/$project/* instead. Please request if you want
your existing content migrated over otherwise we will not do so.

After migration: Once everybody is off of the old Buildbot 0.8 - we will
change ci.apache.org to point to the new 3.2 instance. We will also put in
a redirect for ci.apache.org/projects/$project/* to point to your new
location at nightlies.apache.org/$project/*

Please let us know if you have any questions. Either Drew Foulks or myself
will perform your migration.

Kind Regards.

--

*Gavin McDonald*
Systems Administrator

Re: [NOTICE] - Moving and Upgrading of Buildbot Jobs

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
Thanks Gav.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: [NOTICE] - Moving and Upgrading of Buildbot Jobs

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Me again,

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 at 17:10, Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Maxim
>
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 11:52 AM Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 at 16:50, Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Maxim,

>>> solomax666@gmail.com>

>>> I wonder if you can see this config:
>>>
>>> https://ci-infra.apache.org/job/infra-test-nightlies/configure
>>

>> Unfortunately, No
>>
>> Access Denied
>>

> Try again please.

Access Denied
solomax is missing the Job/Configure permission

Maybe in this case screenshot at
https://nightlies.apache.org/jenkins-publishing.html
will be enough?

"real" config is much better, for sure :)

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: [NOTICE] - Moving and Upgrading of Buildbot Jobs

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi Maxim

wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2021 at 16:50, Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Maxim,
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 11:45 AM Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> solomax666@gmail.com>

>> > Thanks a million!
>> > Unfortunately "example link" is broken
>> > will try to experiment :)
>> >

>> I wonder if you can see this config:
>>
>> https://ci-infra.apache.org/job/infra-test-nightlies/configure
>

> Unfortunately, No
>
> Access Denied

Try again please.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: [NOTICE] - Moving and Upgrading of Buildbot Jobs

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi Maxim,

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: [NOTICE] - Moving and Upgrading of Buildbot Jobs

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi Maxim,

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
sorry for offtopic

--
Best regards,
Maxim

Re: [NOTICE] - Moving and Upgrading of Buildbot Jobs

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Gavin,

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi Martin.

Posted by Martin Tzvetanov Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Gavin,

What tooling we need to use to copy folders to https://nightlies.apache.org/$project/* ?
I have the same question at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-22046?focusedCommentId=17397905&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-17397905
Currently in wicket.conf we use "cp -r /tmp/wicket/apidocs/10.x/* /x1/buildmaster/master1/public_html/projects/wicket/apidocs/10.x/" to copy to ci.apache.org. I guess /x1 is a network mount.

Regards,
Martin

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Matthias,

On 11/13/21 10:48 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
> Hi Carl,
>
> Am 13.11.21 um 16:39 schrieb Carl Marcum:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> On 11/11/21 6:23 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I don't think so.
>>>
>>> The Linux buildbots hang for 60 days.
>>>
>>> Our Windows buildbot has problems for the last days.
>>> I understand that we have a Windows 11 buildbot somewhere now, but we
>>> will have to see if our old environment works on Windows 11.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>      Matthias

>> I'll contact infra and see what we need to do to get our builds
>> running again.
> The Windows bot seems to have lost connection to the upload location,
> builds run fine until the logs get uploaded.
>> I've also found I cant get the last nightly from September to run on
>> CentoOS 7.
>> I'll discuss that in another thread.
>>
>> It may have an impact on what we can build with.
> Remember that the buildbots use Ubuntu. We do not get other machines
> from Infra, but we do not build releases on it.

And that seems to be a problem because the last nightly 4.5.0 from
September won't start for me on CentOS 7 which should be a supported
platform.
Runs fine on Ubuntu 18.04.

It's hard to use them for testing if they don't run :(

Best regards,
Carl

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Carl,

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Re: Fwd: [NOTICE] - Moving and Upgrading of Buildbot Jobs

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
The job was deleted

Andreas

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
Hi Gavin,
sorry for late reaction.

I can see Syncope jobs offline at https://ci.apache.org/builders  but I am not able to find them at https://ci2.apache.org

The Syncope entries at

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Buildbot+0.8+-%3E+3.2+Migration

have no tickets: shall I go ahead and create one?

We would also like to migrate our existing content from

https://ci.apache.org/projects/syncope/

https://nightlies.apache.org/syncope/

Thanks.
Regards.

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Dropping all cc's for this Subversion specific reply.

I have created a Jira ticket to track, add any notes there.

Let me know when I can proceed with the migration.

Thanks

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.
Den tis 17 aug. 2021 kl 05:47 skrev Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>:

> [ Correcting the list's address.  Sorry for the duplicate. ]
>
> Daniel Shahaf wrote on Tue, 17 Aug 2021 03:44 +00:00:
> > Gavin McDonald wrote on Sun, Aug 15, 2021 at 10:44:51 +0200:
> > > Unless you state otherwise - your config will be moved to a new SVN
> [1] or
> > > GIT [2] area
> > > depending on whether you primarily use SVN or GIT.
> > >
> > > [1] - https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot2
> > > [2] - https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-bb2
> >
> > What's the authz on [1]?  Is it still @committers=rw like the old
> > location is/was?
> >
> > > For those of you with nightly builds that use ci.apache.org/projects/*
> -
> > > please note that this service is deprecated and will NOT be available
> going
> > > forward. Instead, your jobs should be changed to upload to
> > > https://nightlies.apache.org/$project/* instead. Please request if
> you want
> > > your existing content migrated over otherwise we will not do so.
> >
> > I assume we'd like both the build task and the past content migrated,
> > please, to facilitate bisects down the road.  Our tarballs are pretty
> > small.  If keeping them all is not an option, I assume we'd like to keep
> > at least some of them, say, every Nth one.
> >
> > Is this mail enough, or should we jira this?
> >
> > https://subversion.apache.org/source-code.html#nightlies

It was discussed in July 2020 in a thread started by Greg Stein (
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/subversion-dev/202007.mbox/%3CCABD8fLVBXN511AyCL1ihQH3GCNR4yYdN-uWzJ_BDfR6a7graCQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E).
Greg suggested to keep only the last 7 days, later modified to last 7
distinct builds on the suggestion of Mark Phippard. Danielsh had a
suggestion to also consider that they were from different months.

There was a conclusion in that thread that the nightlies doesn't even
generate anymore. If I'm digging in the right place, the nightlies are
created by the buildbot config script (
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot/aegis/buildmaster/master1/projects/subversion.conf)
however these steps were disabled by gmcdonald in r1007392 without any
explaination so I don't know if it was unintentional or not. Mark suggested
to delete all old nightlies (at that point +3 years, now +4 years old), but
it doesn't seem that anything was done.

I'm suggesting to implement Mark's idea and drop all the old nightlies. We
can then proceed to discuss if we should restore the buildbot configuration
that creates new nightlies (and the archival policy for these).

> > > After migration: Once everybody is off of the old Buildbot 0.8 - we
> will
> > > change ci.apache.org to point to the new 3.2 instance. We will also
> put in
> > > a redirect for ci.apache.org/projects/$project/* to point to your new
> > > location at nightlies.apache.org/$project/*
> >
> > dev@: We may need to update the waterfall redirects in our .htaccess.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Daniel
> >

> > > Please let us know if you have any questions. Either Drew Foulks or
> myself
> > > will perform your migration.
> > >
> > > Kind Regards.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > *Gavin McDonald*
> > > Systems Administrator
> > > ASF Infrastructure Team

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg

Re: [NOTICE] - Moving and Upgrading of Buildbot Jobs

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

to delete all old nightlies (at that point +3 years, now +4 years old), but
it doesn't seem that anything was done.

I'm suggesting to implement Mark's idea and drop all the old nightlies. We
can then proceed to discuss if we should restore the buildbot configuration
that creates new nightlies (and the archival policy for these).

> > > After migration: Once everybody is off of the old Buildbot 0.8 - we
> will
> > > change ci.apache.org to point to the new 3.2 instance. We will also
> put in
> > > a redirect for ci.apache.org/projects/$project/* to point to your new
> > > location at nightlies.apache.org/$project/*
> >
> > dev@: We may need to update the waterfall redirects in our .htaccess.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Daniel
> >

> > > Please let us know if you have any questions. Either Drew Foulks or

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg

Re: [NOTICE] - Moving and Upgrading of Buildbot Jobs

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 31/08/2021 08:07, Gavin McDonald wrote:

<snip/>

>> Does the above mean that the migration includes necessary changes to
>> generate this output to nightlies.a.o instead? If so, that is great and
>> thanks for taking care of this. If not, what do we need to do?
>>

> Yes I can take care of the code changes needed.

Great. Many thanks.

>> Oh, is there an automatic process to remove old content from
>> nightlies.a.o? If not, we'll need to add one as we (well, I) currently
>> clean up old logs (the only dir that builds up over time) manually every
>> few months.
>>

> There will be a generic cleanup script that will likely delete old files
> over $n days
> old if your project folder is over $x GB. Details to be ironed out.
>
> I think though that this is a hammer and not a scalpel and could have
> undesired
> effects on displayed output. So might be better to create your own cleanup
> script
> at a later date.

The hammer will be sufficient for our needs. It is only test logs that
build up over time (assuming the same directory structure as the current
jobs is retained) and deleting everything older than X days will be fine.

> One last thing to iron out, where do you want your new config file to live,
> in the new
> SVN location [1] or the new Git location [2] ?
>
> [1] - https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot2/projects
> [2] - https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-bb2

I'm going to make a call on this and say git. The reasons are:

- Most of our repos have moved to git
- Using github means we have the option to edit the files via the web
   interface as well as the command line.

> Finally, I have a ticket to track progress.

> Let me know when I can go ahead.

Please feel free to proceed at your convenience. The CI builds provide a
very helpful check on what we are doing but nothing in our process
requires them.

Mark

Re: [NOTICE] - Moving and Upgrading of Buildbot Jobs

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi Mark

Dropping builds@ for the Tomcat specific reply.

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 9:40 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 15/08/2021 09:44, Gavin McDonald wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
> > For those of you with nightly builds that use ci.apache.org/projects/* -
> > please note that this service is deprecated and will NOT be available
> going
> > forward. Instead, your jobs should be changed to upload to
> > https://nightlies.apache.org/$project/* instead. Please request if you
> want
> > your existing content migrated over otherwise we will not do so.
>
> Hi Gavin,
>
> One question about the above.
>
> The Tomcat builds currently generate:
> - code coverage reports
> - docs
> - test logs
> - RAT output
>
> to ci.a.o/projects/...
>
> Does the above mean that the migration includes necessary changes to
> generate this output to nightlies.a.o instead? If so, that is great and
> thanks for taking care of this. If not, what do we need to do?

Yes I can take care of the code changes needed.

> Either way, we don't need the old content migrated.

Thanks for confirming.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.