Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2000/07/14 01:21:49 UTC

[esr@thyrsus.com: Re: [Python-Dev] zlib not compiled by default]

Oy... I think that I've just hit the twilight zone. Speaking of including
other libraries in Apache -- the same issue is occurring over in the Python
core development list.

Here is a great comment from Eric. It talks about *purpose* -- what are we
trying to accomplish. Moshe's motivation is also a nice point.

Cheers,
-g

----- Forwarded message from "Eric S. Raymond" <es...@thyrsus.com> -----

Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 18:32:20 -0400
From: "Eric S. Raymond" <es...@thyrsus.com>
To: Moshe Zadka <mo...@math.huji.ac.il>
Cc: Jeremy Hylton <je...@beopen.com>,
        "Python-Dev@Python. Org" <py...@python.org>
Subject: Re: [Python-Dev] zlib not compiled by default

Moshe Zadka <mo...@math.huji.ac.il>:
> I'm currently drawing a list for extensions to include:
>
>  -- zlib
>  -- Tcl/Tk
>  -- expat
>  -- PIL
>  -- Anything else?
>
> I really want something with "everything" in it.
>
> My motivation: I work on quite a few Unixes at work (AIX, Solaris, HP and
> probably more to come). Installing Python on any of these is a pain --
> exactly because of the need to download 5-6 packages, and install them
> iteratively.

I'm with Moshe on this one -- and I'll go further: I think the `rich'
distribution ought to be the default mode, and would be willing to take
on substantial work to help it happen.

I agree with his choice of initial modules, too, and would certainly
add ncurses, and would be sorely tempted to add libpng.

Moshe's desire is a logical consequence of the "batteries are
included" philosophy which is one of Python's central strengths.  A
good language *ought* to guarantee all its developers and users
fuss-free access to a rich kit of state-of-the-art open source tools
and libraries.  If this means taking on the complexities of tracking
several auxiliary libraries and making sure there is a consistent
Python API to them as they evolve, so be it.

That's our job, gentlemen.
--

	-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: [esr@thyrsus.com: Re: [Python-Dev] zlib not compiled by default]

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
Greg Stein wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 07:48:14PM -0400, Chuck Murcko wrote:
> > This thread's definitely hit the twilight zone.
> >
> > Frankly, though, I don't believe it's Eric's job to tell me what my job
> > is. 8^)
>
> *blink*
>
> Um. I didn't see that he was. I take it you have issues with ESR? :-)

Only with lines like

That's our job, gentlemen.

That sounds a little over the top to me. 8^)
--
Chuck
Chuck Murcko

Re: [esr@thyrsus.com: Re: [Python-Dev] zlib not compiled by default]