Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2015/05/27 01:35:11 UTC

June report prep

Greets,

For June, Ted and I have arranged to split the duties of Report Manager.  Ted
will execute most technical aspects, with support from general@incubator.
I'll take point on creating the freeform narrative content at the top of the
report, subject to the Chair's editorial oversight.

The responsibilities of the Report Manager are documented using a script,
report_runbook.py, which generates all the necessary commands.  Ted, please
try running this from a checkout of the Incubator Subversion repo:

    python3 report_runbook.py --month=6 --apache-id=tdunning

The first action of the June report cycle is to send the "timeline" email to
general@incubator.  This should be done by the last Wednesday of the month,
so that people see it a full week before podling reports are due.  Here's
a sample:

    http://markmail.org/thread/xelqzblvvc5s4vy3

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have on this thread.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: June report prep

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ted, this is more clear now.

You are right, to have monthly summary is also very important to share such
information in project community,
and it's good start point for people learn more about that project when
they joined a new community

Thanks.

Best Regards!
---------------------

Luke Han

Re: June report prep

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Well, I do have to say that my impressions are based on an accelerated reading of the dev list, but I really didn't see much attention paid to issues like the preparation of the report, posting a vote result email to the right place and so on.  More importantly as far as my impression is concerned I really didn't see much reaction to correction.  What I have seen in other communities in incubation has been any of several reactions from disputing requirements, shock that they had missed a step, or some other indication of attachment to what is happening. It is very hard to quantify or point to but I really got sort of a dissociated feeling from the mailing list, almost as if the action was happening somewhere else and the mailing list was peripheral. For that matter, I didn't see design discussions much at all and only saw one external question which was shut down with a "we don't plan to do this, maybe someday" instead of the more customary and inviting "we don't do this bit would love to hear your thoughts and possibly an implementation".

On the positive side, release reviews appear to be checking the right things, although not holding a vote on general@ negates such virtues.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: June report prep

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
We can omit (my tendency) or publish with notes.  I think just including a
note saying that there was an issue on Sentry that is being dealt with
aggressively and which will be reported on monthly for a bit is
sufficient.  The board needs to know that they know everything they need to
know.  A half done report is effectively misleading.  Besides, David will
be at the meeting to provide any necessary back story.

I owe the group a draft of the entire report  (instantly) in any case.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
I believe the podling community was interested to update the report,
however they were concerned about making changes after the cutoff
date. (didn't want to get into more process issues...)

I agree with Ted's reply about adding the additional detail he called
out in his response and moving forward.

Patrick

Re: June report prep

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Re: June report prep

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: June report prep

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:

> David, me, you, or any other interested party could also add a section in the
> general narrative at the top of the report mentioning that Sentry has been a
> topic of discussion on general@incubator.  I'll probably do that.

I see that Joe Brockmeier has taken care of this:

  http://s.apache.org/roE

Thanks Joe -- what you wrote looks great!

Marvin Humphrey

Re: June report prep

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 5:55 AM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One question that has come in from David Nalley is how to deal with the
> issue of Sentry.  They have had some problems with process and seem not to
> recognize that in the report.  David suggests reverting to monthly reports
> as we try to clear up the questions.  I suggest adding a note to the
> report. The situation is a bit problematic because there are several people
> in the project who should understand process better and raise this issue
> themselves.

There are two issues here:

1.  What should go in the report.
2.  What actions to take regarding Sentry, if any.

David has already provided his perspective in an excellent Mentor comment on
Sentry.  The formatting needs to be cleaned up, but I think that's the optimal
spot on the report for that information.

David, me, you, or any other interested party could also add a section in the
general narrative at the top of the report mentioning that Sentry has been a
topic of discussion on general@incubator.  I'll probably do that.

The only other thing about commenting on Sentry is that it's important to get
any such material into Monday's DRAFT in order to give the Sentry community
(both contributors and Mentors) sufficient opportunity to review and respond
if necessary.  Adding commentary *after* the DRAFT goes out is dangerous.

With regards to what actions to take, Sentry Mentors David Nalley, Patrick
Hunt, and Joe Brockmeier are all engaged and I'm content to defer to their
judgment.  If they think that reporting monthly for the next three months is
appropriate, they can edit podlings.xml themselves, or they can ask for
someone else to do it and I'm sure John, me, you or another volunteer would
help out.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: June report prep

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Great idea on taking notes.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
<ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 6:58 PM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> There are a few more cleanup and followup tasks to take care of in order to
>>> prepare for next month:
>>>
>>> *   Assign podlings who did not report a "monthly" attribute in
>>>     podlings.xml.
>>> *   Remove any expired "monthly" attributes.
>>> *   Run clutch.py.
>>> *   Assign shepherds.
>>> *   Generate the July report template and publish on the wiki.
>>>
>>> No hurry, so take a couple days to catch your breath.  Will your schedule
>>> allow you to get to those by the end of this week?
>>
>> It should.  After the presentation tomorrow at Spark Summit, I should be
>> clear for a few days.
>
> Hi Ted -- can you take care of these items please?
>
>>> Once you close out this month's cycle, we might also have a conversation
>>> about how you think the report process could be improved.
>>
>> Happy to do so.
>>
>> So far, the support of the team has been absolutely extraordinary.  The
>> only suggestion so far is to help a new VP know that the support exists.
>> My assumption was that I was jumping into the deep end.  The facts were
>> quite different.
>
> Well, I think we can do better yet if we integrate the Incubator's monthly
> reporting into whimsy.  My perception is that the total burden is too high.
> In the past it was borne solely by the Chair, which was not at all
> sustainable.  Now it is spread, but additional tooling can improve matters
> more.
>
> However, I'm trying to hold off on that conversation until the current Chair
> has actually performed all the tasks involved with the report and so groks the
> full scope.  Hint hint. ;)

One thing that would be helpful is to take good notes during this
process.  Anything you can do via the command line can be done via a
script - this includes SVN and LDAP.  Anything that requires user
input is generally easier when done via a HTML form (buttons,
textareas, checkboxes and the like).  And steps like "remove expired
monthly attributes" can be automated away entirely.

> Marvin Humphrey

- Sam Ruby

Re: June report prep

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> However, I'm trying to hold off on that conversation until the current
> Chair
> has actually performed all the tasks involved with the report and so groks
> the
> full scope.  Hint hint. ;)

Hint accepted.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Marvin Humphrey
<ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 6:32 AM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Ted -- can you take care of these items please?
>>
>> Yes.  Should have time tonight or a bit tomorrow while sitting in the
>> airport.
>
> Ay, caramba. This past Wednesday was the last one in June.  Podling reports
> are due next Wednesday, July 1st.  The robot "Marvin" who sends out podling
> reminders flaked yet again.
>
> We can't wait any longer for these tasks to be completed.  I'll attend to
> them, and then I'll send out manual reminders.

Again, take good notes :-)

This too can be done by whimsy.

- Sam Ruby

Re: June report prep

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 9:48 PM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can get it tonight.  This last week has been crazy.

Thanks for following through, Ted!  Especially since we had you performing
unfamiliar tasks.

In the future, we should see if we can share responsibilities rather than
blocking on one person's contributions.  There are several people who could
have finished out the tasks in question: myself, John Ament, Roman and Alan
Cabrera all know the drill.  We gained the benefit of bringing you up to speed
this month, which is useful -- but it's important that the Incubator's report
be filed on time most months.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
Hi, Ted,

Re: June report prep

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Marvin,

Re: June report prep

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 11:37 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:

> I'll work on the narrative section either tomorrow or Saturday.

Done.

Once the other tasks listed earlier are complete, the next thing is to
send the DRAFT out on Monday.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: June report prep

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: June report prep

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: June report prep

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
A special note for all community members...

Marvin noted a lack of shepherds available compared to our podling count.
There are currently 10 active shepherds and 27 active podlings for this
month's report, meaning on average 2.7 podlings per shepherd (thankfully I
didn't have to bust out my math degree to figure out that one).  Some
shepherds can only handle one podling (due to capacity) and as a result we
do have gaps in our podling coverage.

This is a great month for any new community members who are interested in
the incubator to get their feet wet and start learning to be a shepherd.
Shepherds help monitor monthly progress of podlings, ensuring there's an
external reviewer.

If you're interested, there's two steps.

1. Sign up on the wiki -> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/June2015
2. Add your name to content/shepherds.json (in the incubator site).

Thanks!

John