Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2005/03/14 16:01:23 UTC

Scheduler job persistence

Hi Lenya devs,

integrating the cron block, I'm facing the job persistence issue.

At the moment, the cron block supports DB storage of jobs. This means
we would have to provide a database. Would it be an option to use
HSQLDB for this purpose? If yes, I think we should do some prototying.

Another option might be to implement a custom job store, based on
the file system or even JCR.

WDYT? Has someone already experimented with the cron block?

-- Andreas

Re: Scheduler job persistence

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann said:

> At the moment, the cron block supports DB storage of jobs. This means
> we would have to provide a database. Would it be an option to use
> HSQLDB for this purpose? If yes, I think we should do some prototying.

+1

> Another option might be to implement a custom job store, based on
> the file system or even JCR.

jcr would have the option to store jobs as custom nodetypes and would make
it easier to build unified queries (give me all scheduled jobs for a user,
etc)

> WDYT? Has someone already experimented with the cron block?

not yet. i had the second total hardware failure in less than 5 months.
seems like laptops these days are only built for the casual starbucks
user..

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com

Re: Scheduler job persistence

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> That was one of the famous "back-doors". We just queried the scheduled
> jobs and wrote them to a file. That's not the recommended way to use
> the scheduler. We had to adjust the code several times when the Quartz
> code changed.
>
> Usually, job persistence is handled transparently by the scheduler
> itself, you just choose the job store.

ok, I understand. Then I would suggest to use HSQLDB for the beginning

> Another problem is that our job storage mechanism only supports
> string parameters, which requires to encode all objects into string
> values.

wouldn't this also be required if HSQLDB used? What about
ObjectSerialization
as is normally done with objects kept within a session?

Michi

> -- Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: Scheduler job persistence

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Hi Lenya devs,
>>
>> integrating the cron block, I'm facing the job persistence issue.
>>
>> At the moment, the cron block supports DB storage of jobs.
>

> supports or requires?

Supports. Job persistence is optional (the default job store is
the RAM store).

>> This means
>> we would have to provide a database. Would it be an option to use
>> HSQLDB for this purpose?
>

> I guess that would be the default, but I don't understand why we don't
> just take the filesystem as we have done so far?

That was one of the famous "back-doors". We just queried the scheduled
jobs and wrote them to a file. That's not the recommended way to use
the scheduler. We had to adjust the code several times when the Quartz
code changed.

Usually, job persistence is handled transparently by the scheduler
itself, you just choose the job store. I suggest that we go this way
and abandon our custom solution.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> integrating the cron block, I'm facing the job persistence issue.
>
> At the moment, the cron block supports DB storage of jobs.

supports or requires?

> This means
> we would have to provide a database. Would it be an option to use
> HSQLDB for this purpose?

I guess that would be the default, but I don't understand why we don't
just take the filesystem as we have done so far?

> If yes, I think we should do some prototying.
>
> Another option might be to implement a custom job store, based on
> the file system or even JCR.

JCR would be nice, but can't we for the moment just take the one from
the one we used so far? Sorry if I might confuse something.

Thanks

Michi

> WDYT? Has someone already experimented with the cron block?
>
> -- Andreas

Michael Wechner