Posted to log4php-dev@logging.apache.org by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/08 09:35:36 UTC

Re: New Release

Hi Florian,

I'm forwarding this to the Dev mailing list. Most other developers are
not very active at this very moment, but just to keep them in the
loop.

I think that we already have plenty new features and we could stage a
release very soon. The reason that this has not yet happened is that I
have not had the time I would like to spend on it.

Concerning what needs to be done, I don't think that we have any
show-stopper requests open in JIRA. What I want to do is finish the
LoggerConfigurable class we talked about. After that we can proceed
with the release.

If you have the time, there is one thing I would love some help with,
and that's the docs. I have rewritten a lot of them for this release,
trying to put more focus on the XML and PHP configuration formats, and
less on INI. If you could read through the docs and see where you
think things are not explained well enough, or where there are
mistakes.

I have the latest site deployed at:
http://people.apache.org/~ihabunek/log4php

And the source for docs is in the repo at /src/site.

I would very much like to release before Christmas and I'll try to
finish any loose ends this coming weekend.

Best regards,
Ivan

Re: New Release

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ivan for sharing on list. Florian, at the ASF we say:"if it
didn't happen on list, it didn't happen".

Even when most of us are pretty inactive (like me), some of us are
still interested (like me) and probably want to lend a hand.

On topic, I would love to see a new release. I think there is really
enough on the queue right now.

Thanks guys for all the efforts.

Cheers

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: New Release

Posted by Florian Semm <fl...@gmx.de>.
Am 11.12.2011 10:37, schrieb Ivan Habunek:
> On 10 December 2011 17:31, Florian Semm<fl...@gmx.de>  wrote:
>> There a two things which I missed in the docu:
>>
>> 1. something about the NDC/MDC logging
>> 2. you have already said: most of the configurations are XML/PHP. But the
>> focus is more on XML configuration. So we should increase the number of PHP
>> example configurations. A "nice to have" feature would be a switch like in
>> the documentation of Doctrine: [1]
>>

>> I don't know if point one is important enougth to realize it for the 2.2
>> release, but in the coming 2.3 release it should be.
>>
>> [1]:
>> http://www.doctrine-project.org/docs/orm/2.0/en/reference/basic-mapping.html#persistent-classes
> I like the idea of XML/PHP configurations in tabs. I thought about
> this earlier, but bootstrap's implementation of tabs required jquery
> and it seemed like overkill to include jquery just for that. Now,
> thinking about it, our pages are tiny compared to most on the web. I
> suppose an additional server request will not kill anyone. :)
>
> I added XML/PHP tabs to all appenders and layouts. See here:
> http://people.apache.org/~ihabunek/log4php/docs/appenders/console.html

I love the tabs and the new top-bar. Great! :)

> The other configuration examples will wait until 2.3 because I'm sick
> of writing docs. Actually, I will create a JIRA issue with all the
> things we have to add to docs. I'll add MDC&  NDC here as well.

I think it's useful to create, for each missing configuration-example, a
sub-ticket in jira, insteat of one big ticket.

> Regards,
> Ivan

Regards,

Florian

Re: New Release

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.

Re: New Release

Posted by Florian Semm <fl...@gmx.de>.
Am 08.12.2011 09:35, schrieb Ivan Habunek:
> If you have the time, there is one thing I would love some help with,
> and that's the docs. I have rewritten a lot of them for this release,
> trying to put more focus on the XML and PHP configuration formats, and
> less on INI. If you could read through the docs and see where you
> think things are not explained well enough, or where there are
> mistakes.

There a two things which I missed in the docu:

1. something about the NDC/MDC logging
2. you have already said: most of the configurations are XML/PHP. But
the focus is more on XML configuration. So we should increase the number
of PHP example configurations. A "nice to have" feature would be a
switch like in the documentation of Doctrine: [1]

I don't know if point one is important enougth to realize it for the 2.2
release, but in the coming 2.3 release it should be.

[1]:
http://www.doctrine-project.org/docs/orm/2.0/en/reference/basic-mapping.html#persistent-classes

> I have the latest site deployed at:
> http://people.apache.org/~ihabunek/log4php
>
> And the source for docs is in the repo at /src/site.
>
> I would very much like to release before Christmas and I'll try to
> finish any loose ends this coming weekend.
>
> Best regards,
> Ivan

Regards,

Florian