Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Wes Cummings <we...@wescummings.net> on 2001/04/06 22:18:40 UTC

Visualage Java 3.5 with tomcat and struts

hi,
I am trying to get struts to run in VAJ3.5 pacth 2. I have tomcat running
fine. The version of tomcat is 3.1. The version of struts is 1.0-beta-1. In
stepping thru with the debugger, it appears to get the error when trying to
load org.apache.struts.digester.Digster. I have all Struts classes loaded in
VisualAge and have added the Struts project to the TomcatRunner properties.
I have tried adding the struts.jar to TomcatRunner's classpath as well with
know luck. Any help at all would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Wes Cummings

I get the following error when tomcat is starting up:

Context log path="/struts-example" :tomcat.errorPage: init
Context log: path="/struts-example" XmlReader - init  /struts-example
webapps/struts-example
Context log: path="/struts-example" Reading
E:\VAJ\ide\project_resources\Apache_Tomcat_Test_Environment\conf\web.xml
Context log: path="/struts-example" Reading
E:\VAJ\ide\project_resources\Apache_Tomcat_Test_Environment\webapps\struts-e
xample\WEB-INF\web.xml
Context log: path="/struts-example" Loading -2147483646 jsp
Context log path="/struts-example" :jsp: init
<JASPER_LOG> Fri Apr 06 12:38:25 PDT 2001 Parent class loader is:
org.apache.tomcat.loader.AdaptiveServletLoader@78c7</JASPER_LOG>
Context log: path="/struts-example" Loading -2147483646 default
Context log path="/struts-example" :default: init
Context log: path="/struts-example" Loading 1 database
Context log path="/struts-example" :database: init
Context log path="/struts-example" :database: Initializing database servlet
Context log path="/struts-example" :database: Loading database from
'/WEB-INF/database.xml'
Exception occurred:  null
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: java.lang.InternalError: (Ex02)
An error has occurred.
	java.lang.Throwable(java.lang.String)
	java.lang.Error(java.lang.String)
	java.lang.VirtualMachineError(java.lang.String)
	java.lang.InternalError(java.lang.String)
	void org.apache.struts.example.DatabaseServlet.load()
	void org.apache.struts.example.DatabaseServlet.load()
	void org.apache.struts.example.DatabaseServlet.init()
	void javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(javax.servlet.ServletConfig)
	void org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.initServlet()
	void org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.loadServlet()
	void
org.apache.tomcat.context.LoadOnStartupInterceptor.contextInit(org.apache.to
mcat.core.Context)
	void
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.initContext(org.apache.tomcat.core.Con
text)
	void org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.init()
	void org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(java.lang.String [])
	void org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(java.lang.String [])
	java.lang.Object java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(java.lang.Object,
java.lang.Object [])
	void com.ibm.ivj.tomcat.TomcatRunner.startTomcat(java.lang.String)
	void
com.ibm.ivj.tomcat.TomcatRunner.actionPerformed(java.awt.event.ActionEvent)
	void java.awt.Button.processActionEvent(java.awt.event.ActionEvent)
	void java.awt.Button.processEvent(java.awt.AWTEvent)
	void java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(java.awt.AWTEvent)
	void java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(java.awt.AWTEvent)
	void java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(java.awt.AWTEvent)
	boolean java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEvent()
	void java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(java.awt.Conditional)
	void java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run()

Re: Visualage Java 3.5 with tomcat and struts

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
oups ... sorry this mail wans meant for Sylvain Fagnent only .... :)

I just wanted to say (having worked with Sylvain on the problem) that it was
not the Digester which was missing but it was a parsing problem which we
solved by doing what Sylvain explained (replaced the VAJava provided XML
parser by the latests Xerces one v 1.3.0 or 1.3.1 I seem to remember).

Hope it helps.
Vincent

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.

Re: Cannot retrieve definition for form bean null

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Abraham Kang wrote:

> Does anyone know what this exception means?
>
> javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Cannot retrieve definition for form bean
> null
>
> I have a simple JSP page that only has two Struts tags:

We'd need to see the details of your <html:form> tag and struts-config.xml
file to be sure, but I would bet there is a mismatch somewhere -- perhaps
an incorrect class name on the <form-bean> element.

> Confused,
> Abraham

Craig

Cannot retrieve definition for form bean null