Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Chris Berry <ch...@yahoo.com> on 2005/01/30 18:05:38 UTC

multiple vesions of a plugin

Greetings,
Is it possible for multiple versions of the same
plugin to exist simultaneously in a cache?? If so, how
does one specify explicitly which plugin to use??

Imagine the following: You are working on several
projects simultaneously, all on their own lifecycles.
Project A is "code frozen" and is using verion 1.1 of
your plugin. Project B is more fresh and needs 1.3.
And you need to be able to switch back and forth
seamlessly.

Another scenario; You have a project and you must
simultaneously support the release in Production
(using 1.1 of your plugin) and also the ongoing
develeopment which is using version 1.3...

Thanks,
-- Chris

Re: multiple vesions of a plugin

Posted by Laurent Petit <lp...@sqli.com>.
Hi,

Chris Berry wrote:
 > Greetings,
 > Is it possible for multiple versions of the same
 > plugin to exist simultaneously in a cache?? If so, how
 > does one specify explicitly which plugin to use??
 >
 > Imagine the following: You are working on several
 > projects simultaneously, all on their own lifecycles.
 > Project A is "code frozen" and is using verion 1.1 of
 > your plugin. Project B is more fresh and needs 1.3.
 > And you need to be able to switch back and forth
 > seamlessly.
 >
 > Another scenario; You have a project and you must
 > simultaneously support the release in Production
 > (using 1.1 of your plugin) and also the ongoing
 > develeopment which is using version 1.3...

This question has already been addressed (by me :-) 10 days ago.
You can find it in the archives if you search for the subject :
"Configuration Management with maven"

Here is the answer of Eric Pugh to my message :

"
You are actually hitting on a relatively common issue.  Maven 1.x
doesn't support multiple versions of plugins for example.  Future
versions will.  So, once you start requiring specific versions, versus
the latest and greatest always for all projects, then you can really
have a lot of problems.

However!  Maven can easily be bundled up and run by pointing MAVEN_HOME
to the correct version for your project.  So, if you have Maven A for
Project A, and Maven B for Project B, then just make sure your
MAVEN_HOME is pointing correctly, and just check Maven A and B into CVS
with your project!

Alternatively, and possibly better, is to use Continous Integration and
nightly builds to verify that everything still builds, even when you
haven't touched it in a while!  That way as your Maven environment
evolves, you know it still works with both old dormant code and new
active code.

Eric Pugh
"

Laurent Petit

RE: multiple vesions of a plugin

Posted by Inandjo Taurel <in...@hotmail.com>.
Hi chris,
I tried that, and it bit me back: I had incompatibility errors on running
maven-turbine-plugin, whilst the plugin I had brought in was torque...