Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/14 11:27:22 UTC

Sample Label contents

Most of the samplers use the Name of the Sampler as the label for any
samples it generates.
However, some (e.g. FTP, LDAP) use the URL (or similar) instead.

Seems to me that it is more useful to use the Name.
This can then be used to group related samples together in the aggregate report.
And one can use a naming convention to allow transactions to be
separately aggregated.

For example, we used prefixes of S: (start) and E: (end) to label
samples at the start and end of a sequence, and were then able to use
a Perl script to extract the overall times for all the samples in the
sequence.
[This was before the Transaction Controller was created. But there may
be cases where the TC cannot be used.]

Any reason *not* to use the sampler name for sample labels?

S.
P.S. I guess we ought to change the column heading in the View Results Table.