Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Hodder, Rick" <RH...@navg.com> on 2018/02/26 22:39:31 UTC

SOLR Similarity Difference

I'm converting SOLR 4.10.2 to SOLR 7.1

I have the following three strings in both SOLR cores

Action Technical Temporaries t/a CTR Corporation
Action Technical Temporaries
Action Technical Temporar

If I search

IDX_CompanyName: (Action AND Technical AND Temporaries AND t/a AND CTR AND Corporation)

Under 4.10.2 I see all three in the results

Under 7.1, with the default BF25 similarity. I only see the first result

Someone on the list suggested that make 7.1 to go back to the similarity factory used in 4.10.2 that I add the following to the schema.xml.

<similarity class="org.apache.solr.search.similarities.ClassicSimilarityFactory"></similarity>

That brings all three results.

But my boss would prefer that we don't use the older similarity factory.

Is there some setting other than similarity factory that will make 7.1 include these documents without changing the query?

Thanks,

Rick Hodder
Information Technology
Navigators Management Company, Inc.
83 Wooster Heights Road, 2nd Floor
Danbury, CT  06810
(475) 329-6251

[Forbes_Best Places Logo2016]

Re: SOLR Similarity Difference

Posted by Rick Leir <rl...@leirtech.com>.
Rick
Did you experiment in the SolrAdmin analysis page? It would possibly tell you whether your chain is doing what you expect. Then you need to consider that boolean logic is not strictly boolean in Solr. There is a Lucidworks blog which explains this nicely; every now and then someone posts the link here.
Cheers -- Rick