Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Carlos Barrueto <pi...@hotmail.com> on 2003/05/12 10:40:57 UTC

Beginners questions...

Hello, i am new to SOAP and need some advice.

We are working on a project that consists of a server in java and a client
in c++. I am working on the server side and we agreed that SOAP would be a
good solution to messaging objects with eachother. I am familiar with
general java programming, but am new to SOAP/XML/Servlets. How do i get
started? Can i use a regular socketconnection and inputstream/outputstream
to send SOAP messages to the client? Do i really need to use servlets? Any
help would be great and i feel overwhelmed of this technology!

Re: Beginners questions...

Posted by Bill Lear <ra...@zopyra.com>.
On Monday, May 12, 2003 at 10:40:57 (+0200) Carlos Barrueto writes:
>Hello, i am new to SOAP and need some advice.
>
>We are working on a project that consists of a server in java and a client
>in c++. I am working on the server side and we agreed that SOAP would be a
>good solution to messaging objects with eachother. I am familiar with
>general java programming, but am new to SOAP/XML/Servlets. How do i get
>started? Can i use a regular socketconnection and inputstream/outputstream
>to send SOAP messages to the client? Do i really need to use servlets? Any
>help would be great and i feel overwhelmed of this technology!

I started about 2 weeks ago, using Axis to build an order processing
module for an e-commerce site.  I haven't touched a bit of XML, and
have been able to work entirely with Java objects on both client and
server side, so it was not overwhelming (at least, it doesn't have to
be).

I built interfaces and object models, then ran Java2WSDL.  I then
ran WSDL2Java to build the communication stubs.  One of the generated
files I had to edit (as expected) to "glue" it to my implementation.
Once done, it doesn't get regenerated.

No, you don't need servlets.  Axis comes with a server (I think), but
I didn't use it.

If you need examples, e-mail me.

Bill