Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/28 00:26:06 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Can you go outside the .htaccess directory with Rewrite Rule?

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Sean DeNigris <se...@clipperadams.com> wrote:
> If I put a .htaccess file in my webroot with the following rule:
> RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /cgi-bin/scriptname.cgi?action=$1
>
> Can I specify a script file outside the directory with the .htaccess file in
> it (i.e. outside the webroot)?
>
> Example:
> /home/myname/public_html/.htaccess (see above)
> /home/myname/cgi-bin/scriptname.cgi (I want to call this script via the
> above rule)

Yes, the 2nd argument to RewriteRule is actually a filesystem path and
not a URL -- rewrite helps you out sometimes when you use the latter.

With the default conf, directory trees are explicitly allowed to be
served via "order" and "allow", so whatever you rewrite to will to
have a Directory stanza that allows access.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com