Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by jimtronic <ji...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/11 18:09:05 UTC

CloudSolrServer vs Software/Hardware Load Balancer

Hi there,

We're trying to evaluate whether to use the CloudSolrServer in SolrJ or to
use the HttpSolrServer that is pointed at a software or hardware load
balancer such as haproxy or f5. This would be in production.

Can anyone provide any experiential pros or cons on these? In addition to
performance, i'm interested in management, scalability, and stability.

Technically at this point we can already support both, so I'm really looking
for best practices.

Thanks!
Jim

Re: CloudSolrServer vs Software/Hardware Load Balancer

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 7/11/2014 10:09 AM, jimtronic wrote:
> We're trying to evaluate whether to use the CloudSolrServer in SolrJ or to
> use the HttpSolrServer that is pointed at a software or hardware load
> balancer such as haproxy or f5. This would be in production.
>
> Can anyone provide any experiential pros or cons on these? In addition to
> performance, i'm interested in management, scalability, and stability.
>
> Technically at this point we can already support both, so I'm really looking
> for best practices.

If Solr is running in cloud mode and you're using SolrJ for your client,
you should definitely be using CloudSolrServer.  There's no need for a
load balancer in that situation.  Because the client talks to zookeeper,
it will generally adjust to cluster changes far more quickly than a load
balancer, and it can seamlessly adjust to situations that require load
balancer config changes.

Thanks,
Shawn