Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by George Kirkham <gk...@co2crc.com.au> on 2012/11/19 22:59:51 UTC

SUCCESS - Testing application to compare Acoustic Echo Cancellation (AEC) in SWF11 in OpenMeetings

Hi Sebastian,

I have managed to set up a test environment where I can use the
"test-setup.lzx.swf11.swf" application and verify that selecting
"useEchoSuppression" and "use Enhanced Microphone" options really does
make a great difference in reducing echo.

Yes, this works just great !   How difficult is it to introduce into the
current OpenMeetings build?  It would be worthwhile if you could.

I have one laptop in particular that is good for causing echo, as it has
no internal hardware echo cancellation features.

After setting up an OpenMeetings test server, I then used this laptop to
run test-setup.lzx.swf11.swf and below are the steps that I used to
verify the effectiveness of this echo test;

1)      Test 1 - Open Internet Explorer and connect to
test-setup.lzx.swf11.swf on my OpenMeetings server

2)      In the "URL:" field, change 127.0.0.1 to the IP address of my
OpenMeetings server

3)      Leave "useEchoSuppression" and "Use Enhanced Microphone" enabled

4)      Right click the test window to bring up Adobe Flash Player's
menu, select "Settings...", and ensure that "Reduce Echo" is selected in
the microphone tab.

5)      Connect by selecting "connectRtmpConnection"

6)      Select "startBroadCast" to start broadcasting my video and sound

7)      Now on the same PC, I select "playBroadCast" to start receiving
my broadcasted my video and sound

8)      There is a short delay between my speaking and hearing myself
via the speakers in the laptop.

9)      I adjust the volume on the speakers so that the play back of my
voice is loud and clear, almost to the point where the sound is being
picked up by the laptop's inbuilt  microphone and is producing a delayed
echo.

10)   Now that all is working well, and I can see my video and hear my
voice, I stop playback, and stop broadcasting, and close the web
browser.

11)   Test 2 - Open Internet Explorer and connect to
test-setup.lzx.swf11.swf on my OpenMeetings server

12)   In the "URL:" field, change 127.0.0.1 to the IP address of my
OpenMeetings server

13)   I uncheck "useEchoSuppression" and uncheck "Use Enhanced
Microphone" enabled

14)   Right click the test window to bring up Adobe Flash Player's menu,
select "Settings...", and ensure that "Reduce Echo" is still selected in
the microphone tab.

15)   Connect by selecting "connectRtmpConnection"

16)   Select "startBroadCast" to start broadcasting my video and sound

17)   Now on the same PC, I select "playBroadCast" to start receiving my
broadcasted my video and sound

18)   As soon as I select "playBroadCast", the most dreadful squealing
echo starts up, and when I speak there is echo of my speech.

19)   If I turn the volume right down to where the audio is almost
unheard, the squealing echo stops. But as soon as I try to turn the
volume up where it is useful, the echo returns.

Test 1- No echo when Echo Suppression is  enabled.

Test 2 - Background echo is a major issue when  Echo Suppression is  not
activated.

Thanks,

George Kirkham

IT Manager

Cooperative Research Centre For Greenhouse Gas Technologies (CO2CRC)

NFF House, 14 - 16 Brisbane Avenue, Barton, ACT, 2600, Australia

T: (02) 6120 1600

F: (02) 6273 7181

E: gkirkham@co2crc.com.au,

W: www.co2crc.com.au

Posted by Daniel Ascher <da...@aplustutoring.com>.
Sounds like good news!

Dan

--
Daniel Ascher, M.Ed.
President

505 York Road, Suite 6
Jenkintown, PA 19046
Office: 215.886.9188
Direct: 267.242.9640
www.aplustutoring.com

Re: Error in Testing application to compare Acoustic Echo Cancellation (AEC) in SWF11 in OpenMeetings

Posted by Vincenzo Raimondo <vi...@gmail.com>.
Why when I test application the image of webcam is inverted?
I have this problem on all my computers.
I guess that this is a problem of flash...
Someone know how fix it?

Vincenzo

Re: Testing application to compare Acoustic Echo Cancellation (AEC) in SWF11 in OpenMeetings Raju

Posted by Vincenzo Raimondo <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

If you are interested you can test my modified application test for compare
AEC.

This work as standard application  test-setup.lzx.swf11.swf:

   - Copy mytest-setup.lzx.swf11.swf. in your
   local:$RED5_HOME/webapps/openmeetings/
   - You can then access it with:
   http://localhost:5080/openmeetings/mytest-setup.lzx.swf11.swf
   - (localhost of course needs to be replaced if you run your red5 server
   in the network).

In this application test I have added:

   -  Configuration options for enhanced audio (needed for acoustic echo
   cancellation).
   -  Select the codec to use for compressing audio. Available codecs are
   Nellymoser    and Speex (the default)
   -  Select mode HEADSET when both parties are using headsets. Acoustic
   echo cancellation operates in low-echo mode. This mode requires the least
   amount of computing power.

Link Download:
mytest-setup.lzx.swf11.swf<http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14152853/mytest-setup.lzx.swf11.swf>

Bye

Link Download:

Posted by Vincenzo Raimondo <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Vincenzo Raimondo <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I have fixed the problem when attempt to use 2 PCc for a 1:1 communication.
The problem is in test-setup.lzx.swf11.swf file.
Now I am able to do the following:

Posted by Vincenzo Raimondo <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Vincenzo Raimondo <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi, I have the same problem as George when I attempted to use two PCs, for
a 1:1 communications I was not able to do this.
I was not able to do the following:

Send from PC1 on “stream1” -------->  Receive on PC2 on “stream1”
Send from PC2 on  “stream2” ------->  Receive on PC 1 on “stream2”

But what happens it this

Send from PC1 on “stream1” -------->  Receive on PC2 on “stream1”
Send from PC2 on  “stream2” ------->  Receive on PC 1 on “stream1”

If I send a second strem (strem2) on PC2 to receive on PC1, this
receive playback strem1 and not strem2.
Why?

Please answer me

www.jellnet.com <http://www.jellnet.com/>  |

Posted by "Vincenzo M. Raimondo" <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

See: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENMEETINGS/Camera+Micro+Testing+Application+Standalone

[...]

  11)   Test 2 - Open Internet Explorer and connect to test-setup.lzx.swf11.swf on my OpenMeetings server

  12)   In the “URL:” field, change 127.0.0.1 to the IP address of my OpenMeetings server

  13)   I uncheck “useEchoSuppression” and uncheck “Use Enhanced Microphone” enabled

  14)   Right click the test window to bring up Adobe Flash Player’s menu, select “Settings…”, and ensure that “Reduce Echo” is still selected in the microphone tab.

  15)   Connect by selecting “connectRtmpConnection”

  16)   Select “startBroadCast” to start broadcasting my video and sound

  17)   Now on the same PC, I select “playBroadCast” to start receiving my broadcasted my video and sound

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Raju Bitter <r....@googlemail.com>.
Oh, good to see that someone is using the SWF11 runtime feature! :-)

- Raju

RE: SUCCESS - Testing application to compare Acoustic Echo Cancellation (AEC) in SWF11 in OpenMeetings