Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by dukehoops <ni...@doppelganger.com> on 2008/10/19 23:47:40 UTC

Permgen OOM - *not* reloading context

Our production servers running tomcat6, JVM 1.6 and Wicket 1.3.4 are running
out of PermGen space after a couple of hours an a few thousands requests,
eventually resulting in "cannot detach Request from Session" exceptions
followed by PermGen OOM. We are NOT reloading app contexts - appservers are
fully restarted when needed.

We are running spring 2 and Hibernate 3.3. We recently started using
Compound Property Models extensively. Model objects are DTOs that are NOT
Hibernate entities.

Any advice on how to go about debugging this? If i undetstand basics of
permgen correctly, oom means something keeps loading new classes (not simply
class instances) Should we be looking at wicket's persistent store

-----

Re: Permgen OOM - *not* reloading context

Posted by Serkan Camurcuoglu <se...@telenity.com>.
AFAIK permanent generation keeps class reflection data..

one option is it may simply be that you have too many classes and the
permanent generation space is not enough, after a few hours of running all
parts of your application are touched by your users, all classes are loaded
and your permanent generation is full.. in this case increasing the
permanent generation size using -XX:MaxPermSize would solve your problem..

another option I can think of is, maybe Spring or Hibernate is generating
too many dynamic proxy classes..

anyway I would recommend using a profiler to debug this case if you have the
chance to do so..