Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by sk123 <sk...@savi.com> on 2008/07/21 10:30:34 UTC

Issues with slow consumer and disk space usage by AMQ

Hi,

I am using ActiveMQ 5.1.0. In my setup I have one topic, one producer and
one durable consumer. I am using the default AMQ for storage.  As I bring up
the broker as an embedded broker all these are on default setting.

During stress testing we observed that
1.  When the consumer was slowed down, the producer is held up and
eventually brings the system down. What could be done to avoid this?

2. The side effect of the above is that when the system is kill and
restarted, it will take a lot of time to initialize as Journal recovery
takes a while. Can the journal recovery be stopped or the process be
controlled and done at later time?

3. When the consumer is not down, it was observed that the AMQ storage takes
up a lot of disk space. As the number of messages grow the disk space
consumed glows too. I was thinking that as the messaged are delivered the
store will discard the message. Looks like this is not happening. Is there a
way to discard delivered messaged?

Any pointers to solve the above issues are welcome

TIA